Python Forum
Installing PyQt5 Designer - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: GUI (https://python-forum.io/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Installing PyQt5 Designer (/thread-1853.html)

Installing PyQt5 Designer - birdieman - Jan-30-2017

I am very new (to Python, Designer, etc) and having a problem installing PyQt DESIGNER. I installed Python 3.6  I also installed PyQt5 using Windows command window and pip3.  Everything worked fine (it said it was successful).  Since PyQt - DESIGNER did not show up in my Windows Start Menu (like in a normal download from a web with an exe file), I am guessing I need to install DESIGNER separately.  After searching various forums, I tried installing DESIGNER using "pip3 install PyQt5-tools" in the Windows command window and got "Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement PyQt5-tools (from versions:)  No matching distribution found for PyQt5-tools."

I also downloaded something called a wheel -- pyqt5_tools-5.7.dev9-cp35-none-win_amd64.whl (md5) -- from Python software foundation. It is in my download bucket, but I do not know how to "run" it -- like a traditional downloaded exe file.

So what do I do now?  I want to download QT5-DESIGNER so that it shows up in my Windows Start Menu.  Again, I am new so please be patient.  Thanks

I figured out how to download the wheel mentioned above using pip -- but it says " the wheel is not a supported wheel on this platform" -- anyone know what that means? Should I give up on PyQt5 and use PyQT4?

RE: Installing PyQt5 Designer - snippsat - Jan-30-2017

Look at my installation here.

Quote:I want to download QT5-DESIGNER so that it shows up in my Windows Start Menu.
Intro
Quote:Qt also includes Qt Designer, a graphical user interface designer.
PyQt is able to generate Python code from Qt Designer. It is also possible to add new GUI controls written in Python to Qt Designer.

RE: Installing PyQt5 Designer - birdieman - Jan-31-2017

Snippsat -- thanks for responding. I will take a look at your installation, but before I do, does that fact that I have Windows 64 bit (and I think I installed PyQT 64 bit) make it necessary for me to change anything in your installation?

RE: Installing PyQt5 Designer - snippsat - Jan-31-2017

What's important is what version your python installation is(32-bit or 64-bit).
You see it when you type python<enter> in cmd.
For 32-bit:
PyQt5-5.7.1-5.7.1-cp34.cp35.cp36.cp37-none-win32.whl (md5)

For 64-bit:
PyQt5-5.7.1-5.7.1-cp34.cp35.cp36-none-win_amd64.whl (md5)

RE: Installing PyQt5 Designer - birdieman - Jan-31-2017

To make sure I understand: I already have 64 bit PyQt5 (and python 3.6 64 bit) installed. Do I still do everything in your install instructions -- but substitute the 64 bit version line above?? Lastly, do I do it in the Windows cmd window or the python window?

RE: Installing PyQt5 Designer - snippsat - Jan-31-2017

If it work on you OS version of Python you can leave at that.
You can test the virtual environment setup as a exercise,or if problem with OS installation of PyQt.
Virtual environment is build in to Python 3.6,it's a great tool to keep stuff isolated.

RE: Installing PyQt5 Designer - mherrmann - Nov-01-2018

I had the same problem so created a standalone installer for Qt Designer. Maybe others here will find it useful as well.