Python Forum
cursor jumps back during typing - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Board (https://python-forum.io/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: cursor jumps back during typing (/thread-1994.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

cursor jumps back during typing - takaa - Feb-09-2017

Hi,

When writing something on the forum my cursor keeps (randomly) jumping back a few(or many) places, which makes typing very difficult to almost impossible.

I am currently typing in a safari browser. This problem has never happened to me before, only on this forum.

And the longer I write, the higher the frequency of "jump backs (and forwards)".

Maybe I am the only one with this problem?

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - wavic - Feb-09-2017

Nothing here. Are you sure you don't touch casually the touchpad?

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - Larz60+ - Feb-09-2017

looks like a poor battery (if wireless) or bad connection if not wireless - keyboard problem

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - metulburr - Feb-09-2017

I have never heard of someone having this problem on the board before. However there are a lot of possibilities and troubleshooting what is the issue.

Is this on a keyboard or touchpad?
Are you sure there is nothing setting on top of your keyboard? 
Are you sure your keys are not sticking? 
Have you tried swapping out with another keyboard and seeing if the issue persists? 
Is your battery dying if on wireless?
If touchpad, have you restarted it recently? Sometimes my tablet goes insane and needs to be restarted. 
Have you tried a few different browsers and see if it happens with one or all?
If it is only our forum, what are you comparing it to?
Does it happen anytime your in the editor or just with certain characters/keypresses/or BBcode's?

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - Ofnuts - Feb-09-2017

(Feb-09-2017, 07:58 PM)metulburr Wrote: I have never heard of someone having this problem on the board before. However there are a lot of possibilities and troubleshooting what is the issue.

Is this on a keyboard or touchpad?
Are you sure there is nothing setting on top of your keyboard? 
Are you sure your keys are not sticking? 
Have you tried swapping out with another keyboard and seeing if the issue persists? 
Is your battery dying if on wireless?
If touchpad, have you restarted it recently? Sometimes my tablet goes insane and needs to be restarted. 
Have you tried a few different browsers and see if it happens with one or all?
If it is only our forum, what are you comparing it to?
Does it happen anytime your in the editor or just with certain characters/keypresses/or BBcode's?

I confirm that there are occasional keyboarding oddities (mostly with the backspace key, for me, I think). (FF51 on Linux)

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - Larz60+ - Feb-09-2017

My wireless keyboard has a green led which is supposed to turn red when the battery gets too low.
I have never seen it red. It's starts acting very strangely when the battery gets low, before the led changes color.
My usual initial reaction (battery lasts a long time) is that I picked up is virus somewhere!

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - sparkz_alot - Feb-10-2017

I've also had battery issues when using a wireless mouse, causing all sorts of strange behavior.  Never showed a 'low battery' warning, it just started behaving weird.  Replaced it with a wired mouse and problem solved.

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - ichabod801 - Feb-10-2017

Funny story: After my dad's stroke he was having problems using the mouse for his computer. So I went and got him a trackball, which was a lot easier for him. Some time later he starts having problems with the trackball. So he calls up Dell support. He doesn't tell them it's a third party trackball, because he knows they won't help him out. Since they don't know it's a third party trackball, they can't figure out what the problem is. He's frustrating the hell out of them for hours until I show up.

Me: "Have you tried changing the batteries?"

Dad: "What batteries?"

I normally avoid wireless peripherals, but they didn't have any wired ones when I'd been to the store to get it.

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - metulburr - Feb-10-2017

the logitech trackball mouse is the only mouse i use. I jsut wished it was wired. I have gotten to the point i cannot stand a regular mouse.

RE: cursor jumps back during typing - Larz60+ - Feb-10-2017

All kinds of posts here, except the original poster.
Guess the battery was replaced, and that was the end of that.