Python Forum
want to get package documentation from pip without installing - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: General (https://python-forum.io/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Discussions (https://python-forum.io/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: want to get package documentation from pip without installing (/thread-20438.html)

want to get package documentation from pip without installing - Skaperen - Aug-11-2019

way back when i was getting started with Python i saw the specs of a DNS query library the would let me do any kind of DNS query including setting any flags and specifying which DNS server the query goes to. it looked good enough to put together a recursive lookup in Python without having to deal with any packet level or byte level stuff. it would parse the packets coming back and make everything easy to access. it supported UDP and TCP, IPv4 and IPv6. it looked to be very complete and something that could eventually be very useful.

i originally thought it was part of the Python library, but i can't find it in the docs at all. a pip search yields lot of stuff. but, the descriptions don't give me any idea of what each package really covers. is there a way to just download (not install) various packages so maybe i can figure out if any of these is what i really want.

RE: want to get package documentation from pip without installing - wavic - Aug-11-2019

Output:
Usage: pip <command> [options] Commands: install Install packages. download Download packages. uninstall Uninstall packages. freeze Output installed packages in requirements format. list List installed packages. show Show information about installed packages. check Verify installed packages have compatible dependencies. config Manage local and global configuration. search Search PyPI for packages. wheel Build wheels from your requirements. hash Compute hashes of package archives. completion A helper command used for command completion. debug Show information useful for debugging. help Show help for commands. General Options: -h, --help Show help. --isolated Run pip in an isolated mode, ignoring environment variables and user configuration. -v, --verbose Give more output. Option is additive, and can be used up to 3 times. -V, --version Show version and exit. -q, --quiet Give less output. Option is additive, and can be used up to 3 times (corresponding to WARNING, ERROR, and CRITICAL logging levels). --log <path> Path to a verbose appending log. --proxy <proxy> Specify a proxy in the form [user:passwd@]proxy.server:port. --retries <retries> Maximum number of retries each connection should attempt (default 5 times). --timeout <sec> Set the socket timeout (default 15 seconds). --exists-action <action> Default action when a path already exists: (s)witch, (i)gnore, (w)ipe, (b)ackup, (a)bort. --trusted-host <hostname> Mark this host as trusted, even though it does not have valid or any HTTPS. --cert <path> Path to alternate CA bundle. --client-cert <path> Path to SSL client certificate, a single file containing the private key and the certificate in PEM format. --cache-dir <dir> Store the cache data in <dir>. --no-cache-dir Disable the cache. --disable-pip-version-check Don't periodically check PyPI to determine whether a new version of pip is available for download. Implied with --no-index. --no-color Suppress colored output
See the Commands section

RE: want to get package documentation from pip without installing - Skaperen - Aug-12-2019

no command to get documentation, i guess i will have to do download.