Python Forum
after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: General (https://python-forum.io/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Discussions (https://python-forum.io/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? (/thread-21082.html)

after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - Skaperen - Sep-13-2019

after python2's EOL, is it "safe" to change the plain "python" command to point to or run python3? anyone know when it was changed from python1 to python2?

RE: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - Larz60+ - Sep-13-2019

2.0 beta 26-sept-2000
2.0 release candidate 9-Oct-2000
2.0 final release 16-Oct-2000

RE: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - Gribouillis - Sep-13-2019

Skaperen Wrote:is it "safe" to change the plain "python" command to point to or run python3?
It probably depends on your OS. I wouldn't change the "python" command in a Linux OS where the default python is python 2. Instead, upgrade the OS to a version where the python command points to python 3.

RE: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - Skaperen - Sep-13-2019

(Sep-13-2019, 06:31 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: 2.0 beta 26-sept-2000
2.0 release candidate 9-Oct-2000
2.0 final release 16-Oct-2000

when did the "python" command get changed to point to python2?

(Sep-13-2019, 07:37 AM)Gribouillis Wrote:
Skaperen Wrote:is it "safe" to change the plain "python" command to point to or run python3?
It probably depends on your OS. I wouldn't change the "python" command in a Linux OS where the default python is python 2. Instead, upgrade the OS to a version where the python command points to python 3.

if one installs python3 from a source build, does that change the "python" command if it already exists? so, i should treat it as the decision of the OS/distro builder (because their stuff may expect it to be that way) and i should just look at the next version of my OS/distro?

RE: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - Gribouillis - Sep-14-2019

Skaperen Wrote:if one installs python3 from a source build, does that change the "python" command if it already exists?
You could experiment with this in a virtualbox instance.

RE: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - wavic - Sep-14-2019

+1 for leaving it on OS.

As you know half of the system runs on Perl and Python scripts. Changing the default python command to point to a different version could cause a mess.

RE: after py2 EOL, is it safe to repoint python? - snippsat - Sep-14-2019

For me python and pip always point to version choose as global(system wide).
Because i always use pyenv Simple Python Version Management.
snippsat Wrote:Why pyenv?
  • pyenv will install Python or other Distribution(Anaconda,PyPy,MicroPython...ect),set it as system wide installation(or run it in a shell seesion).
  • No more using python3 or pip3 or sudo or --user when pip install something.
  • It's always python and pip to version set as global,and pip install requests to global version.
  • It's safe and will not mess with your OS,can go back to default pyenv local system or remove all rm -rf $(pyenv root)