Python Forum
Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Coding Help (https://python-forum.io/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input (/thread-25401.html)

Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - bwdu - Mar-29-2020

Hi,guys! Can you help me with how to take any number of command-line inputs from user without defining any limit? I have tried to generated a few partial solutions such as using split() function or list compherension but non of them worked quite good.

RE: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - ndc85430 - Mar-29-2020

Can you give examples of what you mean please (both input/output and code)? sys.argv already gives you a list of the arguments, so I don't know what you're splitting.

RE: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - bwdu - Mar-29-2020

(Mar-29-2020, 03:32 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: Can you give examples of what you mean please (both input/output and code)? sys.argv already gives you a list of the arguments, so I don't know what you're splitting.

I have to write a command line argument so the user can write any number of inputs, number can change in every iteration up to user. I mean user can write 1 2 3 4 to the computer in first time she/he running the program but also can write 60 4 5 6 1 9 7 4
in another time.

a, b = input("Enter a two value: ").split()
print("First number is {} and second number is {}".format(a, b))
print()
This is the split example but there is a problem in here which is, the number of inputs are limited by the coder with 2. Which I don't want.

x, y, z = [int(x) for x in input("Enter three value: ").split()]
print("First Number is: ", x)
print("Second Number is: ", y)
print("Third Number is: ", z)
print()

This is an example of the other method an has the same problem, here the number of inputs are limited with 3.

RE: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - ndc85430 - Mar-29-2020

Ok, so what you're asking about isn't really "command line arguments" - those are values passed to the program when it's started (e.g. consider python foo.py a b c - the values a, b and c are command line arguments).

If you're insisting on unpacking the values like that, then no, there isn't a way to do that. Why do you think you need to unpack them, rather than just doing the split and say, iterating over the list with a for loop?

RE: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - jefsummers - Mar-29-2020

Try this
import sys

argument_list = sys.argv
how_many = len(argument_list)

print(f'You entered {how_many} arguments')
print('They are')
for passed in argument_list :
    print(f'{passed}')
Output:
C:\Users\Jeff\foo>python arguments.py 45 28 16 1000 2 hello world You entered 8 arguments They are arguments.py 45 28 16 1000 2 hello world

RE: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - bwdu - Mar-29-2020

(Mar-29-2020, 05:16 PM)jefsummers Wrote: Try this
import sys

argument_list = sys.argv
how_many = len(argument_list)

print(f'You entered {how_many} arguments')
print('They are')
for passed in argument_list :
    print(f'{passed}')
Output:
C:\Users\Jeff\foo>python arguments.py 45 28 16 1000 2 hello world You entered 8 arguments They are arguments.py 45 Thank you very much! You are the best it helped a lot. 28 16 1000 2 hello world
Thank you very much! You are the best it helped a lot.

RE: Taking Multiple Command Line Argument Input - buran - Mar-29-2020

(Mar-29-2020, 05:42 PM)bwdu Wrote: Thank you very much! You are the best it helped a lot.
note that sys.argv is the most basic way to work with command line arguments.
There is argparse module in the standard library.
there are plenty of packages that make it easy to create nice CLI interfaces, e.g. Click