Python Forum
tkinter search box - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: GUI (https://python-forum.io/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: tkinter search box (/thread-25627.html)

tkinter search box - DT2000 - Apr-06-2020

I am attempting to find the correct way to put a search entry in a piece of code I have written. The entry widget would hold the input as a StringVar() that would be searched in a text widget and then highlight the word when found.

I have a reasonable idea of what I have to do and part of how I need to do it but I have not been able to get it to come together in a working form yet.

I have done some looking online for information and managed to find limited information and a couple of examples but I have not been able to make my search code work yet.

The text widget is Code_Snippet:
Code_Snippet = Text(root, bg = '#FFFFDF', fg='#000000', bd=0, width=117, height=27, relief=SUNKEN, cursor='hand2')
Code_Snippet.place(x=19,y=58)
The Entry widget is search_entry:
search_entry = Entry(root,bd = 2, textvariable = Search, width = '25', bg='#FAFAFA', cursor='hand2')
search_entry.place(x=770,y=32)
Search routine:
Search = StringVar()
pos = Code_Snippet.search(Code_Snippet, "1.0", stopindex="end", count=Search)
Code_Snippet.tag_configure('search', background="light blue")
Code_Snippet.tag_add('search',  pos, "%s + %sc" (pos, Search.get()
I am having issues with this and could use some advice on how to correct the code so it will actually find the word and highlight it once it is found.

RE: tkinter search box - joe_momma - Apr-06-2020

I made a simple dictionary found here that searches for a word and outputs the definition in blue, examples in purple and lemmas in red. You'll need the nltk(natural language tool kit) module to run it. Looks like you're missing a step insert into the text, best of luck

RE: tkinter search box - joe_momma - Apr-06-2020

Quote:Hi Joe_momma, I have checked the code that you posted and I have adapted it to my needs however it is not yet working. The problem I am facing is trying to read the data that is loaded into the Text widget. When I ran my code with the adapted portion of your code I get the following error:
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\ve3je\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1705, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
File "C:\Users\ve3je\Documents\Python Projects\PBSnippet\PBSnippet-5 Cat Mod.py", line 83, in highlight
defs= Code_Snippet() #feed entry to dictionary
TypeError: 'Text' object is not callable
Please keep this to your original post-
in your first post you declare code_snippet as a text widget
Quote:Code_Snippet = Text(root, bg = '#FFFFDF', fg='#000000', bd=0, width=117, height=27, relief=SUNKEN, cursor='hand2')
in your error defs= code_snippet() code_snippet is a widget not a function that's why your getting an error, post your code or at least a workable section- when i said you are missing the step insert you should have a line that looks like this
Code_Snippet.insert('end','some-text','search') #(location, text or entry, tag)

RE: tkinter search box - DT2000 - Apr-08-2020

After a lot of additional reading and various trials I now have it working as I needed it, thank you for the help.