Python Forum
Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Bar (https://python-forum.io/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important (/thread-2607.html)

Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - Ofnuts - Mar-28-2017

https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f

Warning for Python lovers: "in cauda venenum" :)

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - wavic - Mar-28-2017

Big Grin Much laughter while reading it

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - Larz60+ - Mar-28-2017

Painful to read, but true.
That's why (which I posted before), many years ago I vowed to
never learn a new language until it has survived for at least five years.

Because here's the process:
  • Someone needs to do their PHD thesis, so they invent a new language
  • Magazine articles are written about the new language.
  • Critics, who don't have a clue about what the language does praise it as the next great thing.
  • Managers (who got there by writing thesis about new languages) write a corporate paper about the new language
  • Senior management praise the manager for being state-of-the-art, or best-of-breed, or taking a quantum-leap into the future
  • Managers get promoted to Sr. Managers for exactly the previous reason.
  • Sr. Managers write magazine articles for PM Magazine about the new great trend in Languages.
  • Readers of PM, make the language a new DOD requirement.
  • CEO wannabees adopt the new language to show that they're savvy of the new trends.
  • Programmers get stuck learning a language that sucks
  • Four years later the language is dropped for lack of successful projects

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - ichabod801 - Mar-28-2017

Quote:but now everyone is realising modifying states is equivalent to kicking babies
Maybe I'm just dark and twisted, but that really brightened up my day.

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - volcano63 - Apr-19-2017

Real-life conversation in the office - FE guy tries to thumb development manager's nose on some stuff, the latter turns to me and quips: 
Quote:I am writing Python - this guy JavaScript, and he tells me that he is feeling sorry for me?
Cool
(BTW, this FE guy keep on cursing FrameWorks)  Evil

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - nilamo - May-10-2017

I have the opposite problem. Our head of IT (ie: the person in the department that's not me) has a viewpoint that C# is The One True Way, and everything should either be written in that, or as an sql stored procedure. Over the last few years, I've snuck python into a few things (like our auto-updating tv displaying a sales dashboard, or a few tools that only exist on my laptop/github account), while also convincing him that stored procedures are really bad, since we don't have records of what they contain. At least now everything's in svn now.

But then, I have a mild case of not-invented-here, and have been getting better at it. He used to frequently ask me "why did you spend so much time on X, there's a nuget package for that". So I guess we both have our shortcomings.

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - volcano63 - May-10-2017

(Mar-28-2017, 01:39 PM)Larz60+ Wrote:
  • Someone needs to do their PHD thesis, so they invent a new language
  • Four years later the language is dropped for lack of successful projects

I think this is a couple of decades old  Tongue The reason C++ was created  Doh

And it's still running  Think

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - buran - May-11-2017

(Mar-28-2017, 01:39 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Someone needs to do their PHD thesis, so they invent a new language

In Guido's own words he started Python as  a "hobby" programming project that would keep him occupied during the week around Christmas 1989.

So, in our (Python) case it's sort of the pot calling the kettle black kind of situation Smile Cool Big Grin

RE: Why the coding frameworks you know aren't really important - volcano63 - May-11-2017

(May-11-2017, 06:06 AM)buran Wrote: In Guido's own words he started Python as  a "hobby" programming project that would keep him occupied during the week around Christmas 1989.

So, in our (Python) case it's sort of the pot calling the kettle black kind of situation  Smile  Cool  Big Grin

He didn't do it for thesis - he did it for fun. Maybe that's why Python is fun Dance ? As opposed to C+ Naughty ?!