Python Forum
Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Homework (https://python-forum.io/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats (/thread-28984.html)

Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - Katy8 - Aug-12-2020

I'm going through the MIT Open Course Ware in my free time. Just want to begin learning, so this is not for a class or credit. Just need a nudge in the right direction, not necessarily a spelled out answer.

I'm trying to figure out how to convert a string to a float. For example:

s = "1.2, 3.4, 5.6"

I know that there is a way to do it that is probably very clever (I may not be quite as smart as I thought to take the MIT course!). Wondering if anyone else is familiar with this conundrum? Wall

RE: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - Intr0spective - Aug-12-2020

Hi,

Are you trying to get 3 floats out of it? 1.2 then 3.4 and finally 5.6
Or any float e.g 1.23456?

RE: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - jefsummers - Aug-12-2020

First you will need to split the string on the commas. That gives you a list of strings. Then, iterate through the list converting the strings to floats.

There is a really cool Python construct called a list comprehension that works really well on the string list to float list conversion.

RE: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - Katy8 - Aug-15-2020

(Aug-12-2020, 06:47 PM)Intr0spective Wrote: Hi,

Yes to your first question, no to your second question.

(Sorry for the delay in my response!)
Thanks!

RE: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - buran - Aug-15-2020

so what have you tried so far? you did try something, right?

RE: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - Intr0spective - Aug-16-2020

(Aug-15-2020, 06:37 PM)Katy8 Wrote:
(Aug-12-2020, 06:47 PM)Intr0spective Wrote: Hi,

Yes to your first question, no to your second question.

(Sorry for the delay in my response!)
Thanks!

Katy8,

Then as jefsummers advised:

1.) split the string "1.2, 3.4, 5.6" on commas, that means you pass a ',' as a parameter to split() method. This gives you a list of strings. If you do it right then the list should look like ['1.2', '3.4', '5.6']
2.) convert each value in this string to float. To do that you have to loop/iterate over each value in the list converting it to float - you may print it or store it again in list - depends on what you plan to do with it. E.g if storing it in list then the list should look like
[1.2, 3.4, 5.6]

Lastly, if you post your code folks here will tell you what is wrong with it rather than
coding it for you Wink

RE: Convert multiple decimal numbers in string to floats - Katy8 - Aug-16-2020

Thanks to both of you. I'm not sure if this is the way that the authors intended, but I may just move on and try to go back to it later.

Thanks also for the general posting tip!