Python Forum
Programmers font - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Bar (https://python-forum.io/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Programmers font (/thread-2901.html)

Pages: 1 2

Programmers font - sparkz_alot - Apr-18-2017

** SPOILER ALERT, NOT A PYTHON QUESTION ** Smile

As I've gotten older and the eyesight is not what it used to be, I felt the need for a better font for when I'm typing or reading code.  I found a good one for Windows called Input, that greatly helps by clearly delineating between such things as: 1 and l, () and {}, 0 and O and so on.  I also found one in Linux called Fantasque Sans Mono that also seems very good.

I was just curious which font you folks use?

RE: Programmers font - volcano63 - Apr-18-2017

Sorry to ask - are you sure it's not cataract? Check it out

RE: Programmers font - ichabod801 - Apr-19-2017

Interesting. I've long wanted something besides Courier New, mainly for emails with monospaced output in columns. The Input stuff looks like what I would want, but only if the person getting the email had it.

RE: Programmers font - sparkz_alot - Apr-19-2017

(Apr-18-2017, 07:23 PM)volcano63 Wrote: Sorry to ask - are you sure it's not cataract? Check it out

Are you referring to my bad eye or my glass eye? 

(Apr-19-2017, 01:33 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: Interesting. I've long wanted something besides Courier New, mainly for emails with monospaced output in columns. The Input stuff looks like what I would want, but only if the person getting the email had it.

Not sure how that works (and I have no way to test it, but wouldn't it just pick another monospaced font?

RE: Programmers font - ichabod801 - Apr-19-2017

(Apr-19-2017, 01:08 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Not sure how that works (and I have no way to test it, but wouldn't it just pick another monospaced font?

Possibly. But how many people have a monospaced font installed besides Courier New, much less that would override Courier New when choosing a monospaced font?

RE: Programmers font - sparkz_alot - Apr-19-2017

The three that come to mind for Windows (prior to v10) are DejaVu mono, Lucida Console and Consolas.  I don't remember if Courier New was an option at the time for the cmd terminal.  Thankfully with v10 they took a hint from Linux and made the terminal more customizable (yeah, it's a real word I may have just made up).  Later, when I have the Linux machine fired up, I'll have to see what happens if I open an 'Input mono' file, though I suspect it will just use the default font on Linux and not necessarily a mono spaced font

RE: Programmers font - snippsat - Apr-19-2017

Some links.
Here can test fonts and theme:
Programming Fonts Test drive

Ranking of a programming font:
Best programming fonts

I use Hack font with Seti(Ui) - Monokai Seti(Syntax Theme) in Atom.
Switch to this font after reading this post and testing some out.
[Image: yNlYI9.jpg]

RE: Programmers font - Larz60+ - Apr-19-2017

I thought I needed glasses, turned out to be cataracts.
Had the surgery several (about 10) years ago. Afterwards I could see everything!
Now I need it again!

RE: Programmers font - volcano63 - Apr-19-2017

(Apr-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I thought I needed glasses, turned out to be cataracts.
Had the surgery several (about 10) years ago. Afterwards I could see everything!
Now I need it again!

Been there half a year ago Cry, that's why I asked.

RE: Programmers font - Skaperen - Apr-21-2017

(Apr-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I thought I needed glasses, turned out to be cataracts.
Now I need it again!

you mean your replacement lens is going bad, or you other eye is developing a cataract?