Python Forum
Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Coding Help (https://python-forum.io/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory (/thread-30121.html)

Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - Harshil - Oct-06-2020

So Hey! I Have A Problem Not Homework

Problem: I Have Many Font Files(Zip Download From GOogle Zip) And I Want to Move Them Only Ttf And Otf Files

SO I have Done THis Approach

#import libraries
from pathlib import Path
import os
from datetime import datetime
from collections import namedtuple
import pandas as pd
import shutil

#Create A File nametuple

file = namedtuple('File','name path size modified_date')

#Create Empty list
files = []

#File Path
p = Path(r"C:\Users\DELL\Desktop\Python_Projects\fonts-master\fonts-master\ofl")

#iterate though path objects find all that end with .ttf and .otf save to list

for item in p.glob('**/*'):
    if item.suffix in ['.ttf','.otf']:
        name = item.name
        path = Path.resolve(item).parent
        size = item.stat().st_size
        modified = datetime.fromtimestamp(item.stat().st_mtime)
        files.append(file(name, path, size, modified))
        #print(os.path.exists(str(path)))
        #ERROR BELOW
        shutil.move(path,r'C:\Users\DELL\Desktop\Python_Projects\fonts-master\All Fonts')

#Create Dataframe from list

df = pd.DataFrame(files)

#Export To Csv
df.to_csv('ttf_and_otf.csv',index=False)
Here Are The Errors

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Users\DELL\Desktop\Python_Projects\fonts-master\fonts-master\lel.py", line 30, in <module> shutil.move(path,r'C:\Users\DELL\Desktop\Python_Projects\fonts-master\All Fonts') File "C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\shutil.py", line 784, in move real_dst = os.path.join(dst, _basename(src)) File "C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\shutil.py", line 747, in _basename return os.path.basename(path.rstrip(sep)) AttributeError: 'WindowsPath' object has no attribute 'rstrip'

RE: Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - bowlofred - Oct-06-2020

shutil.move() is expecting a string representing a filename or path, not a Path object. Most os file functions can take path-like objects, but I don't think shutil can.

You can call it with str(path) instead of just path.

RE: Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - Harshil - Oct-06-2020

(Oct-06-2020, 07:02 AM)bowlofred Wrote: shutil.move() is expecting a string representing a filename or path, not a Path object. Most os file functions can take path-like objects, but I don't think shutil can.

You can call it with str(path) instead of just path.

I Have tried str(path)

But hey can you tell me how to move specific files from one dir to another dir

RE: Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - bowlofred - Oct-06-2020

Can you show the error when you try? This code moves a "foo" file to the "target" directory.

from pathlib import Path
import shutil

p = Path(".")
for item in p.glob('**/*foo'):
    print(item)
    shutil.move(str(item), r"target")

RE: Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - Harshil - Oct-06-2020

Hey! Thanks For The Help I Solved My Error Manually And I Want to Thank You!

For Your Help I AM Able To Move Files!

Here Is The Command

I Used

shutil.move(os.path.join(path,name),'Destination')
But Is There A Way To Ignore errors In python

RE: Moving Files From Subdirectories To Another Directory - ndc85430 - Oct-06-2020

Why would you want to ignore errors? They tell you that something's wrong and likely needs to be fixed for the program to work correctly.