Python Forum
New Users Introduce Yourself - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Bar (https://python-forum.io/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: New Users Introduce Yourself (/thread-36.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - Klar - Dec-12-2017

Oh, thanks! I'll install 3.4.3 right now!

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - wavic - Dec-12-2017

To be honest, most of the people here are on Windows. I don't use it because my religion doesn't allow it. Wink
Welcome to the party!

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - Larz60+ - Dec-12-2017

Quote:Oh, thanks! I'll install 3.4.3 right now!
If you're going to test the water, why not make the jump, all the way to 3.6.3?

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - Klar - Dec-12-2017

Cause I'm not on Windows 10 yet. I will be soon, around January, but not yet. I even have a 3.6.3 installer on the computer.

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - sparkz_alot - Dec-12-2017

Be sure and check our tutorial on Python 3.6 installation on Windows here:
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Basic-Part-1-Python-3-6-and-pip-installation-under-Windows

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - Larz60+ - Dec-12-2017

Quote:Cause I'm not on Windows 10 yet. I will be soon, around January, but not yet. I even have a 3.6.3 installer on the computer.
I run windows 7. Refuse to go to 10. Python 3.6 works just fine on windows 7

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - codesailor - Dec-13-2017

Ahoy,
I am new here. Hoping to learn more to fill some gaps to become better at using Python.

Cheers

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - sparkz_alot - Dec-13-2017

Welcome aboard, m8

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - ezdev - Dec-17-2017

i would put this in another topic, except that subject-wise, its an introduction, so here goes:

* i spent 25 years coding in basic
* fell in love with python in 2009
* spent a few years watching how people managed with python 2 code
(i deal with files that could be bytestrings or utf-8)
* went *back* to python 2 after updating/porting my largest program ever
* have a small 90-something-command programming language implemented in both versions of python (called fig) but i doubt youd love it
* used python+fig to write a 1000-line remaster script to create "fig os"

and im currently working on a command shell for gnu/linux and windows (in python 2, alas) with the following features:

while ; find | fsortplus | fields 3 _ | cat -n | replace : ";" | var this_is_a_variable

* while creates a python while 1 loop in python, it doesnt require bash
* find either uses the native find command in gnu/linux, or dir /b /a /s in windows
* fsortplus returns the filesize, sha256sum, date, time and path of files
* fields 3 _ is like awk '{print $3 " " $_}' except it doesnt require awk
* cat -n doesnt use cat or type, but python
* replace : ";" replaces all instances of : with ; (; has to be quoted)

and best of all, piping those commands to | var this_is_a_variable creates a local python variable called this_is_a_variable and everything from the shell pipeline goes to that.

talking about python 2 is probably considered trolling here-- and i dont want anyone to think im trying to do that, but most of the stuff i do is in python 2-- including most (not all) versions of fig.

if theres a giant 2to3 thread on this forum somewhere, i WILL study it, but ive been through a lot of tutorials (standard / python docs / highly recommended ones on other sites) and when the python foundation drops support of 2.x, im probably just switching to pypy.

you never know, i may pick up some extra (improved) skills on this forum. i do really love python-- and the command line. ive been toying around with code since the mid 80s; but im not formal/pythonic enough to call myself a "python coder" really; just a coder that uses python. all the best.

RE: New Users Introduce Yourself - Larz60+ - Dec-17-2017

If you've been at python since 2009, i expect that you are aware that 2.7 will no longer be supported after 2020.

But just an FYI, if not.

A lot of really neat stuff has been added to 3.6