Python Forum
unable to run pip - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: General (https://python-forum.io/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Discussions (https://python-forum.io/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: unable to run pip (/thread-37425.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: unable to run pip - Skaperen - Jun-15-2022

(Jun-15-2022, 11:54 AM)Axel_Erfurt Wrote: This will also install all dependencies.
it did not do that for me. perhaps a dependency (package) was defective and lacked the module being accessed. or perhaps the module reference was faulty for a depricated module. i tried to determine the package name with the intent to purge that package to let the install of python3-pip bring in the latest and hopefully correct dependency, but i could not determine that.

i'm working on ways to determine Ubuntu package names and dependencies. the intent is to make a command to force re-install of a package's entire dependency tree.

i will download pip by another means and see if that is different.

RE: unable to run pip - Axel_Erfurt - Jun-16-2022

Which Ubuntu distribution are you using?

Yesterday I installed a Linux Mint 20.3 (based on Ubuntu 20.04) on a notebook. the installation of pip worked perfectly.

RE: unable to run pip - Skaperen - Jun-18-2022

Xubuntu 20.04.4, has Python 3.8.10 and Xfce 4.14. recent fresh install. have most backups of previous Xubuntu 18.04.6.

RE: unable to run pip - Axel_Erfurt - Jun-19-2022

Mint 20.3

Kernel 5.13.0-51
python 3.8.10
xfce 4.16

pip 22.1.2

RE: unable to run pip - Skaperen - Jun-19-2022

is there a .deb file for pip?

maybe i should try mint for my next distro install. does it run lightdm?

RE: unable to run pip - Axel_Erfurt - Jun-20-2022

You can download the deb file using

apt download python3-pip

RE: unable to run pip - Skaperen - Jun-20-2022

i would need to reconfigure to get the Mint .deb. i don't want the Ubuntu .deb as that is the one that doesn't work for me.

RE: unable to run pip - Axel_Erfurt - Jun-21-2022

It is not listed at http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=una.

So the package from Ubuntu is probably used in Mint.

RE: unable to run pip - Skaperen - Jun-21-2022

then it is unclear why pip is failing.

RE: unable to run pip - Skaperen - Jun-21-2022

i can do the import being tried by pip, so it is not the case of a missing module.
Output:
lt1a/forums/1 /home/forums 14> python3 Python 3.8.10 (default, Mar 15 2022, 12:22:08) [GCC 9.4.0] on linux Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. wait for .init.py to run ... Traceback (most recent call last): File ".init.py", line 3, in <module> import decimal,math,numpy,os,os.path,subprocess,sys,time ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'numpy' >>> from pip._vendor import appdirs >>>
since pip works fine elsewhere, something else must be causing this specific import error as seen in post #1.

sorry i don't have numpy, yet. let me try installing it:
Output:
lt1a/root/2 /root 4# log-pip-install numpy Script started, file is ./20220621-184706-087639-install-numpy.log 18:47:06 [87643] EXECUTING: 'pip' 'install' '--cache-dir' '/var/lib/pip-cache' 'numpy' Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/pip", line 5, in <module> from pip._internal.cli.main import main File "/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/_internal/cli/main.py", line 10, in <module> from pip._internal.cli.autocompletion import autocomplete File "/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/_internal/cli/autocompletion.py", line 9, in <module> from pip._internal.cli.main_parser import create_main_parser File "/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/_internal/cli/main_parser.py", line 7, in <module> from pip._internal.cli import cmdoptions File "/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/_internal/cli/cmdoptions.py", line 31, in <module> from pip._internal.utils.ui import BAR_TYPES File "/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/_internal/utils/ui.py", line 15, in <module> from pip._vendor.progress import HIDE_CURSOR, SHOW_CURSOR ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip._vendor.progress' [[ 0m0s real 0.415 - user 0.198 - sys 0.023 - 53.29% ]] 18:47:07 [87643] FINISHED - status = 1 Script done, file is ./20220621-184706-087639-install-numpy.log lt1a/root/2 /root 5#
i can't import that one, myself:
Output:
lt1a/forums/1 /home/forums 16> python3 Python 3.8.10 (default, Mar 15 2022, 12:22:08) [GCC 9.4.0] on linux Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. wait for .init.py to run ... Traceback (most recent call last): File ".init.py", line 3, in <module> import decimal,math,numpy,os,os.path,subprocess,sys,time ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'numpy' >>> from pip._vendor.progress import HIDE_CURSOR, SHOW_CURSOR Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip._vendor.progress' >>>
maybe that really is missing. but "pip._vendor" is there since i could do appdirs. it just isn't making any sense what is really happening. it sure seems like the pip that comes with Ubuntu is broken. so i am looking for a copy of pip i can download into a non-distro Linux (e.g. no repository, like a Linux for those who build C stuff from source).