Python Forum
Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Coding Help (https://python-forum.io/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases (/thread-38650.html)

Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases - marlonbown - Nov-09-2022

Goal: Keep content of TableA except items listed on TableB.

I am getting the following error. Code is below. Can you please let me know if you see where problem is when using the "MINUS' syntax?
Error:
(venv) user@3c0630078aad venv % python delmain2.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Users/user/venv/delmain2.py", line 61, in <module> diff("apix.db", "APIX", "APIW") File "/Users/user/venv/delmain2.py", line 55, in diff res = connection_obj.execute(statement) sqlite3.OperationalError: near "SELECT": syntax error (venv) user@3c0630078aad venv %
import sqlite3
def diff(database, tableA, tableB):
        #Testing with hardcoded syntax for now

connection_obj = sqlite3.connect(database)
        cursor_obj = connection_obj.cursor()
        statement = '''SELECT * FROM APIX MINUS SELECT * FROM APIW'''
        res = connection_obj.execute(statement)
        return res

diff("apix.db", "APIX", "APIW")

RE: Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases - ibreeden - Nov-09-2022

(Nov-09-2022, 05:00 AM)marlonbown Wrote:
connection_obj = sqlite3.connect(database)
res = connection_obj.execute(statement)
You must use the connection_obj to execute the query. Use the cursor_obj instead.

RE: Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases - deanhystad - Nov-09-2022

I find it annoying that all the sql tutorials make a cursor object. There are lots of things that a cursor object cannot do, and most of the things you can do with a cursor object can be done without one. Just use your connection object where you would normally use a cursor object (because you've been brainwashed into thinking they are requried!)

RE: Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases - marlonbown - Nov-10-2022

Hi, thanks for the quick replies.
I attempted to use cursor obj and now luck. Same error.
Please see message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/u/venv/delmain2.py", line 61, in <module>
File "/Users/u/venv/delmain2.py", line 55, in diff
res = cursor_obj.execute(statement)
sqlite3.OperationalError: near "SELECT": syntax error

Code now is:
def diff(database, tableA, tableB):
        table1 = "APIX"
        table2 = "APIW"

connection_obj = sqlite3.connect('apix.db')
        res = cursor_obj.execute(statement)
        return res

======
(Nov-09-2022, 07:47 PM)deanhystad Wrote: I find it annoying that all the sql tutorials make a cursor object. There are lots of things that a cursor object cannot do, and most of the things you can do with a cursor object can be done without one. Just use your connection object where you would normally use a cursor object (because you've been brainwashed into thinking they are requried!)

RE: Getting error when running "MINUS" between 2 databases - deanhystad - Nov-10-2022

Looking into this a tiny bit. Are you sure about "MINUS"? Looks like you should be using "EXCEPT".