Python Forum
Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Forum & Off Topic (https://python-forum.io/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Bar (https://python-forum.io/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K (/thread-842.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Larz60+ - Nov-09-2016

Hello,

I'm not up to date on components, and want to build a new Linux system. Any suggestions
for a Linux Friendly motherboard that accepts the Intel i5 6600K ?

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - wavic - Nov-09-2016

I couldn't be specific but you have to look at the BIOS or EFI or how is called now. This is the part that causes troubles when one wants to install a linux system. Linux, as you know, works almost on every piece of hardware.

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Larz60+ - Nov-09-2016

I'm looking for specifics. I know about the BIOS.
I have built many computers, just not up to date on the hardware

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - sparkz_alot - Nov-09-2016

Although this site is centered on gaming, it should give you a good starting point.
http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=2324&moboList=Core%20i5-6600K%203.5GHz

I like Asus products, so my biased opinion would be to start there. 

Since the Skylake processors were built with Windows (gaming) in mind, it might be better to see if there is native kernel/driver support in the linux distro your interested in.

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Larz60+ - Nov-09-2016

Actually, I'm an old time gamer. I usually play one or two in the evening on steam.
So if I find one that is a gaming motherboard and supports linux that would be fun.

Actually, I went to Boston today (actually Cambridge) to Microcenter (.com). I spent quite
a while looking at motherboards. It seems like they all use UEFI BIOS. A few minutes ago
I found https://www.linux.com/learn/how-install-linux-windows-machine-uefi-secure-boot
so maybe ufei is OK

I will study your suggested site this evening.

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - sparkz_alot - Nov-10-2016

Yes, it is the wave of the future, today :-) . It really shouldn't cause any difficulties with a single OS.  You either install your OS or if it fails, you disable the option in BIOS and try installing again. It does get a bit trickier when you try to dual boot two OS, as to which OS needs to be installed first.

My caution was not about the gaming abilities of the processor, but rather the availability of an 'open source' driver. Though Intel is getting better at providing such drivers for some of their products, they don't do it (or perhaps just haven't gotten around to doing it) for all products.  The best solution would be to see if the item is listed in your distro's Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

It might also happen, that linux will try to assign a 'best fit' driver. You might end getting a butt load of errors in your logs, flaky operation and so on, but you would definitly not get all the features available with the actual driver.

Good luck and have fun building  Smile

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Larz60+ - Nov-10-2016

Quote:The best solution would be to see if the item is listed in your distro's Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Sound advice , I'll do that

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - casevh - Nov-10-2016

I just built a couple of Linux servers using a Skylake-class CPU. I was looking for a mATX motherboard that supported the Xeon E3-12xx v5 processor, ECC memory, at least two ethernet ports, and Ethernet-based out-of-band management. I used the E3C236D4U motherboard made by "ASRock Rack". They are the server (rack-mount) division of ASRock. The board was well made and I've had no issues running Ubuntu 16.04/16.10.

They also make workstation motherboards that are documented to support the i5 6600K. Search for the C236-WS or C236M-WS motherboards. It may be more appropriate for your use.

The only caveat would be that the motherboards do not support over-clocking but that's not appropriate for a server or workstation.

For video support under Linux, I was use an NVidia video. The current open-source drivers are fairly good as long as you avoid the latest video cards. I haven't had any issues using the closed-source driver by NVidia with Ubuntu. If you use a Linux distribution that does support any closed-source drivers, then compiling the NVidia drivers is possible but I try to avoid it.

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Larz60+ - Nov-10-2016

I'll take a look. I looked at a couple ASRock. That mini-STX format interests me.
The Nuc looks very interesting, but I'm so used to a large case, I'm a bit afraid to go there.
I just might take the plunge.
I saw an article where someone figured out how to store information on a
plain glass disc the size of a quarter.
The capacity 360 TB with a expected to outlast the human race!
see http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/160928-five-dimensional-glass-memory-can-store-360tb-per-disc-rugged-enough-to-outlive-the-human-race

Whenever I drive into Boston, the traffic tires me out! So will probably look at
all this information tomorrow.

I did that drive every day from Providence RI to Boston (actually Waltham) every day to and from work
for a couple of years ( when in my twenties). No way would I do that now!

I didn't come home empty handed. Bought a new 27" monitor foe 120 bucks.

Thanks for the advice!

RE: Linux friendly motherboard for intel i5 6600K - Skaperen - Nov-12-2016

i used to build my own systems including at the hardware level. now i just buy hardware, usually custom made, from a linux friendly source. my two laptops are from system76 (not counting an older netbook made by asus). my two servers are from eracks. i have no plans to ever resume building hardware. i used to build custom slackware multi-boot installs. now i just do a mostly-default ubuntu install and do virtualization, including remote vps servers and cloud instances. my lan is 1gbit and i am thinking about 10gbit. my wifi is 802.11a while i am watching for products in 802.11ac and others.