Python Forum
Python find the minimum length of string to differentiate dictionary items - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Coding Help (https://python-forum.io/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Python find the minimum length of string to differentiate dictionary items (/thread-8675.html)

Python find the minimum length of string to differentiate dictionary items - zydjohn - Mar-03-2018

dTeamNames = {'A': 'Man City', 'B': 'Man United', 'C': 'West Brom', 'D': 'West Ham' }
Hello:
I have a dictionary contains a key and a team name as the example above.
Now, I want to find a way to create another dictionary which uses the same key as dTeams, but use only the shortest length of string of the original team names as the value.
For example, I want to have the following new dictionary using the above dTeamNames:
dShortNames = {'A': 'Man Ci', 'B': 'Man Un', 'C': 'West B', 'D': 'West H' }
The rule is: for the minimum length of string which can tell the difference for each team names.
For “Man City” and “Man United”, the minimum length is 5, so I can use “Man C” and “Man U” to differentiate the both team names; however, for “West Brom” and “West Ham”, the minimum length is 6, so I can use “West B” and “West H” to differentiate the both team names.
I want to write a function to find how to find the minimum length of string to differentiate all the team names in the dictionary and create the new dictionary.
Thanks for advice.
John

RE: Python find the minimum length of string to differentiate dictionary items - Gribouillis - Mar-03-2018

If you sort the names, it suffices to always differentiate two consecutive names.

RE: Python find the minimum length of string to differentiate dictionary items - zydjohn - Mar-03-2018

Hello:
I don't quite understand your meaning.
Please show me your code if you know how to do this.
As I am rather new for python programming, I can't figure this out by myself now.
Thanks,

RE: Python find the minimum length of string to differentiate dictionary items - Gribouillis - Mar-03-2018

Here is a solution with module itertools
import itertools as it

def index_two(a, b):
    '''return the first index where the two words differ
    If they don't differ, return the length of the smallest'''
    return next(
        it.dropwhile(lambda t: t[0]==t[1], zip(a, b, it.count(0))),
        (None, None, min(len(a), len(b))))[2]

def index_many(words):
    '''return the first index where all the words differ
    identical words are considered to differ on the next character'''
    seq = sorted(words)
    if not seq: return 0
    a, b = it.tee(seq)
    next(b, None)
    return max((index_two(*t) for t in zip(a, b)), default=0)

def shorten_names(dic):
    n = index_many(dic.values())
    return {k: v[:1+n] for k, v in dic.items()}

dTeamNames = {'A': 'Man City', 'B': 'Man United', 'C': 'West Brom', 'D': 'West Ham'}
dShortNames = shorten_names(dTeamNames)
print(dShortNames)