Python Forum
Calling Variables from Other Files in Different Folders
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling Variables from Other Files in Different Folders
I'm currently working on a file in the following directory: F:\Python\Projects\Analysis

And I want to call variables and functions from file: US_data.py in directory: F:\Python\Projects\Economic Data

I've search around to find a way to do this and keep coming back to the idea of creating a new path like this...

sys.path.insert(1, 'F:\Python\Projects\Economic Data'
But this and everything else I've tried isn't working so I am here hoping to find an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.
copy US_data.py to the F:\Python\Projects\Analysis, then you can use

import US_data
The easiest way to import you own modules is place the module (file) in the same directory as the module (file) that wants to use it. If the module is in another directory you have two choices; specify the path or add the directory of the file you want to import to the Python search path.

Adding paths to the Python search path can be done by modifying the path as you suggest, but if you do all your Python work in a subdirectory of F:\Python\Projects, add that to you python search path and an empty file named __init__.py files, to F:\Python\Projects and all of it's subdirectories.
(Jul-30-2020, 10:51 PM)deanhystad Wrote: ... but if you do all your Python work in a subdirectory of F:\Python\Projects, add that to you python search path and an empty file named __init__.py files, to F:\Python\Projects and all of it's subdirectories.

This makes most sense for me as I will have multiple subdirectories under F:\Python\Projects where I'll do all my work and would love the ability to easily pull variables and functions from different subdirectories.

But forgive me, I'm quite new at Python, I'm not sure I follow your instructions. As I understand it, I need to do the following:

1. in my current working file i need to write the code: sys.path.insert(0, 'F:\Python\Projects')
2. create a python file called '__init__.py'
3. Have this file in all of my subdirectories

Is this correct?
If you always do your work under F:\Python\Projects you might want to modify the PYTHONPATH environment variable to include that directory. Then you wouldn't have to modify sys.path directly, it would already contain F:\Python\Projects.
Also if this is as mention bye @deanhystad a folder your Python project,then can use site module and not mess with PYTHONPATH/enviroment Path for this.
In this post i explain usage.
(Jul-31-2020, 12:45 PM)deanhystad Wrote: If you always do your work under F:\Python\Projects you might want to modify the PYTHONPATH environment variable to include that directory. Then you wouldn't have to modify sys.path directly, it would already contain F:\Python\Projects.

So I've been trying to figure this out but can't seem to get it working. I believe I've added F:\Python\Projects to the PYTHONPATH by going to the Environment Variables under Advanced System Settings (I'm using windows) and under Path adding the directory. But when I call up the path using sys.path it doesn't show. I've tried different things but can't get it to show.

So then I decided to just use sys.path.append and with that the directory does appear but if I want to call the file 'US_data' from F:\Python\Projects\Economic_Data with the from function (from US_data) it doesn't work.

Wall
(Jul-31-2020, 03:32 PM)illmattic Wrote: I believe I've added F:\Python\Projects to the PYTHONPATH by going to the Environment Variables under Advanced System Settings (I'm using windows) and under Path adding the directory.
To use PYTHONPATH do it under User Variables.
[Image: 9ODFLu.png]
So now i have made same folders just that i use G:\ Drive.
Now it should show in sys.path test,if not resat Pc.
>>> import sys
>>> 
>>> sys.path
['',
 'C:\\Program Files\\PyScripter\\Lib\\rpyc.zip',
 'G:\\Python\\Projects',
 'C:\\Python38\\python38.zip',
 'C:\\Python38\\DLLs',
 'C:\\Python38\\lib',
 'C:\\Python38',
 'C:\\Python38\\lib\\site-packages',
 'C:\\Python38\\lib\\site-packages\\win32',
 'C:\\Python38\\lib\\site-packages\\win32\\lib',
 'C:\\Python38\\lib\\site-packages\\Pythonwin']
G:\Python\
  |-- __init__.py
  |-- Projects\
    |-- __init__.py 
    |-- Economic_Data\
      |-- __init__.py 
      |-- bar.py
# bar.py
def bar():
    return 42
import for this would be.
>>> import Economic_Data.US_data
>>> 
>>> Economic_Data.US_data.bar()
>>> 
>>> # Or
>>> from Economic_Data.US_data import bar
>>> bar()
I made a mistake. I mistaken path for PYTHONPATH. I actually don't have PYTHONPATH

As an aside, do you still need the empty __init__.py for Python 3? I thought it was only needed for 2.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using zipfile module - finding folders not files darter1010 2 516 Apr-06-2024, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Create new folders and copy files cocobolli 3 1,766 Mar-22-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Copy only hidden files and folders with rsync Cannondale 2 1,204 Mar-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Cannondale
  using variables with functions imported from different files. Scordomaniac 3 1,396 May-24-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
Question Calling on a Variable using other Variables jacknewport 4 2,144 Jul-23-2021, 04:18 PM
Last Post: jacknewport
  Moving files to Folders giddyhead 13 9,544 Mar-07-2021, 02:50 AM
Last Post: giddyhead
  code to read files in folders and transfer the file name, type, date created to excel Divya577 0 1,952 Dec-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Divya577
  How do use data from csv files as variables? JUSS1K 1 2,276 Oct-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: GOTO10
  Passing Variables between files. victorTJ 3 2,387 Oct-17-2020, 01:45 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  sub-folders in folders from text line jenost 1 1,661 Mar-31-2020, 07:16 AM
Last Post: ndc85430