Python Forum
Google rank; One more to go
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google rank; One more to go
(Dec-23-2016, 12:15 AM)micseydel Wrote: What are people's thoughts on banning the search engines?

I had thought of that previously. I didn't bring it up because I wasn't sure we could do it, and at the time I thought we would want the referrals. We might be in a better position now.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I wonder if every time a user is forwarded to python-forum.io by clicking on the link, if python-forun.org gets a point?
I don't think banning it would mess with referrals at this point. We could also un-ban it after, and maybe we'd get lucky and the boneyard would be #2 after that.

(Dec-23-2016, 02:24 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: I wonder if every time a user is forwarded to python-forum.io by clicking on the link, if python-forun.org gets a point?
That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how that would be tracked. Unless perhaps the Google analytics is part of it or something.
(Dec-23-2016, 12:13 AM)metulburr Wrote: the only links back here are those links.

There are links in signatures, so every thread is a potential referral.

Not sure why you see it so urgently to burn it to the ground quickly. We can also wait another half year and be done with it.
Yeah, I agree with Kebap on this one.

It's not like the old forum is taking away our traffic; if anything, the information available there is geting us more hits.
I agree that it should be shut down at some point, but I think relevant content should be migrated here before doing that.
i dont see the problem with leaving it up longer.

What more content should be migrated? I know we did the majority of the tutorials...but what else is there besides day to day conversation?
Recommended Tutorials:
Well, I'm not exactly sure, but there's got to be more that gets people to the site than searching for "python forum".
I don't know if there's a way to find out what those topics might be though.
Maybe even migrating all the posts is an option?
(Dec-23-2016, 01:36 PM)stranac Wrote: Maybe even migrating all the posts is an option?
Well that would be ideal...but i believe we tried that before starting this forum and it would of been easier to do initially beforehand than merging the two databases. Thats why we hand migrated the tutorials posts.
Recommended Tutorials:
I was mostly joking about burning it to the ground. Especially if people are still getting a benefit from us, and I really don't think it's hurting us right now. Definitely for keeping it around for another six months, and maybe longer, and killing specific threads if we are so inclined (meaning remove the content, link here, preferably to an equivalent thread).
(Dec-23-2016, 01:36 PM)stranac Wrote: Well, I'm not exactly sure, but there's got to be more that gets people to the site than searching for "python forum".
Im not sure if we could move much more content. The tutorials are for sure need to be comepletely moved. 

But im sure people do "python forum {whatever they are researching}"

If you just type "python string format" it only responds back with documentation sites. If i am trying to find people discussing it i would do something like "python forum string format"
. Which currently puts python-forum.org 5th in line. They click that, then read through and either find someones signature, or go back to index to find the site moved. But people could do that in theory for every programming aspect.... for every thread. So i dont see moving threads as pliable. 

Maybe we should leave it up indefinitely then. At some point we will bypass content and rating of the old forum as the old forum has no new content....and is only 2-3 years old thanks to the 2nd to last admin.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  google rank #1? metulburr 9 5,933 Aug-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Last Post: metulburr