Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
had to re-register
hello,

according to my records i registered with this username (which i've had for the previous three incarnations of this fourm), using the same email address on the third of november 2016.

when i tried to log in today i was told my password was incorrect. 

when i tried to request a new password i was told my email address was not registered.

i was able to re-register with the same user/email combination.

can any of the admins shed any light on this?

was i kicked? did i jump and can not recall?

all the best,

pedros

ps with this "new" account i'm experiencing the 'mark whole subfora as read' behaviour as http://python-forum.io/Thread-Threads-al...ed-as-read
There was a problem with the forum

http://python-forum.io/Thread-forum-hack...19#pid5319

If this does not help, wait for an admin

Welcome back  Cool
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
yes, good thinking, but i was aware of (and should have mentioned) the hack. i've certainly been able to log in since then. 

still a bit twilight zone...
The forum was hacked on Nov/22/2016 in which the previous backup was 5 days before that. So if you created your account on the 3rd, your account should of existed still with our backup on the 17th.

Did you change your password after the hack? The hack was considered to leak info compromising all accounts. If someone logged into your account and posted spam for example, then a mod would of deleted/purged you. Highly unlikely but not out of the realm of possibility.

Or did you yourself post spammy advertisement posts at all last time you were here? There are a lot of mods and admins now with itchy trigger fingers for people posting spam/spammy content.
Recommended Tutorials:
i was last logged in on friday (31/12/16), at that point (as far as i remember, we have had a certain booze-filled celebration since then...) i was logging in using the password i changed to after the hack and had a post count of zero.

i've not lost anything by having to re-register, but it just seems a little weird and perhaps has affected others.

also, if my account was deleted and/or banned i'd expect it to be added to some sort of blacklist, rather than being able to just sign up again, with the same username and associated email address. perhaps there is a mod for this in future? i only really access this forum during down time at work, where i'd be accessing from a fixed ip.

can an administrator perhaps look through the database to spot any anomalies? i have email evidence which may be pertinent to any investigation and can provide the ip address mentioned above (although that's clearly not been blacklisted either because, well, here i am again...)

ps - while i'm a fan of chopped pork and ham i am certainly not a spammer...
Quote:also, if my account was deleted and/or banned i'd expect it to be added to some sort of blacklist, rather than being able to just sign up again, with the same username and associated email address. perhaps there is a mod for this in future? i only really access this forum during down time at work, where i'd be accessing from a fixed ip.
My home IP is static by my ISP, but random events will cause it to change at times. Are you 100% sure your work IP address is the same as it was 2 months ago? Or are you sure it is not dynamic?

There is no history with your current IP address. It appears like you never signed up at all before. 

Though most spammers get banned via IP/username/email, sometimes people post things that is on the fence with spam. And sometimes mods/admins dont want to ban them in case they are just "weird". In those cases we mostly just delete the post, and warn them, but one mod/admin mod might of accidently deleted the user (you) instead. But this would only happen if you posted spammy posts or advertisements for your own websites, etc. 

Im not too worried about it unless it happens again, or to another person. Then it shows a pattern of a problem. But yes it is odd. Of course it would be interesting to hear from other admins about this.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-03-2017, 04:24 PM)pedros Wrote: i was last logged in on friday (31/12/16)
December 31st, 2016 was a Saturday.

(Jan-03-2017, 04:24 PM)pedros Wrote: i was logging in using the password i changed to after the hack and had a post count of zero.

i've not lost anything by having to re-register
When did you re-register?

(Jan-03-2017, 04:24 PM)pedros Wrote: i have email evidence which may be pertinent to any investigation
Could you elaborate?
I just came across something in ACP that possibly retains to this. Users activated with 0 posts and 90+ days since registered are pruned out. Unactivated accounts get removed after 30 days registration. So if you made an account and never post, then 90 days your account would be deleted. Did you ever post on the previous account?
Recommended Tutorials:
i had not posted with the old account (the dictionary definition of a lurker); problem solved...
Welcome back pedros, glad you are now already over 5 posts (a feat only 1 in 5 forum members have achieved) :D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Register problem Kebap 1 2,521 Sep-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: metulburr