Python Forum
testing if this is a container type
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
testing if this is a container type
in a function being passed an argument, it might be a single data type or it might be a container of some type. i need to do different callbacks depending on that. i am wondering if there is a way to test of some given argument is a container or not. even if it some programmer created type (it's just going to be passed back with some other data, so i don't need to understand that data any more than that). does anyone know how to do such a test?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
You should really checkout the collections.abc module.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Jan-24-2019, 07:01 PM)Skaperen Wrote: in a function being passed an argument, it might be a single data type or it might be a container of some type. i need to do different callbacks depending on that.

in addition to ichabood's suggestion, I would recommend to look at @functools.singledispatch
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

I'm not sure how that happened, buran, but you seem to have quoted Skaperen and attributed it to me.

Edit: If you select text from one post, and click the quote highlighted button for another post, it quotes the first poster and attributes it to the second poster.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Jan-24-2019, 07:53 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: 'm not sure how that happened, buran, but you seem to have quoted Skaperen and attributed it to me.

Edit: If you select text from one post, and click the quote highlighted button for another post, it quotes the first poster and attributes it to the second poster.
yes, I know that, my error, sorry :-) Now I will fix it :-)
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Here is an example with @functools.singledispatch

import collections.abc
import functools

@functools.singledispatch
def foo(arg):
    print("that's not container", type(arg))

@foo.register(collections.abc.Container)
def _(arg):
    print('Now that is container', type(arg))

test_items = [int(), str(), dict(), list()]

for item in test_items:
    foo(item)
Output:
that's not container <class 'int'> Now that is container <class 'str'> Now that is container <class 'dict'> Now that is container <class 'list'>
EDIT: Fixed the import - collections.abc instead of just collections. Importing just collections was giving an error with 3.7, although at home I think I test the code with 3.5. collections.abc was part of collections before 3.3
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

oh dear, this program i'm doing needs to have str not be a container. yeah, i know it technically is a container. i didn't think about that, yet. but, buran's example made obvious. it's simple enough to check for str first.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
You can always register separate callback for str. It will take precedence over the callback for the abstract class. Also it will propagate for any custom class that inherit from str.
import collections.abc
import functools

@functools.singledispatch
def foo(arg):
    print("that's not container", type(arg))

@foo.register(collections.abc.Container)
def _(arg):
    print('Now that is container', type(arg))

@foo.register(str)
def _(arg):
    print("that's str", type(arg))

class Foo(str):
    pass

test_items = [int(), str(), dict(), list(), Foo()]

for item in test_items:
    foo(item)
Output:
that's not container <class 'int'> that's str <class 'str'> Now that is container <class 'dict'> Now that is container <class 'list'> that's str <class '__main__.Foo'> >>>
Note that you can use different names for the registered callbacks so that you can distinguish and check which callback will be used for certain class.
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uploading files from a ubuntu local directory to Minio storage container dchilambo 0 401 Dec-22-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: dchilambo
  Upload Files to Azure Storage Container phillyfa 6 582 Dec-22-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
Lightbulb shutdown host from docker container cosmin1805 0 914 Nov-27-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: cosmin1805
  networkx package is not visible in singularity container image erdemath 11 2,182 Oct-14-2022, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  python installation/running inside singularity container erdemath 2 1,689 Sep-21-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: erdemath
  Python in Singularity Container on Ubuntu erdemath 0 876 Aug-31-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: erdemath
  UnUnloading values from multiple widgets in a container UGuntupalli 3 2,698 Apr-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Last Post: UGuntupalli
  Type hinting - return type based on parameter micseydel 2 2,427 Jan-14-2020, 01:20 AM
Last Post: micseydel
  How do I install Python 3.8.1 in a RHEL 8 UBI container? DevLinuxNC 1 3,524 Jan-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Clunk_Head
  looking for a multi item container Skaperen 2 2,016 Apr-15-2019, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Skaperen