Python Forum
Please Help with My First Python Attempt
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help with My First Python Attempt
Hi there! I am super new to Python, and by super new I mean I downloaded WinPython and installed Pulp this afternoon.

I have a relatively simple (at least I think it's simple) problem that I need to solve. Normally I would use Excel solver, but the size of the data set I'm working with at the moment exceeds Solver's limits so after a bit of Googling I decided to try Python. The issue with that is that while I understand and can recreate the simple scipy and pulp examples listed around the internet, I cannot find a more complex example that would help me setup my specific problem, which is why I'm hoping someone here can help me!

Sample CSV file is available here. Data has been anonymized.

My objective: minimize the total cost of resources by selecting the optimal resource for the bin and task while meeting the constraints
Constraints: the number of resources used within a given month cannot exceed what is available in a given month

Excel explanation:
Choose the best resource cost (one choice per row of columns K through P * column S) for each row while meeting resource availability constraint (columns W and X)

So, if Rank1_Cost Resource was selected for the task in row 2 (E1) the total cost would be 1596.662 (L2*S2) for this task,
and the required resources for resource E would be 0.34 (T2), and because this exceeds resource E's constraint of 0 (X6), the best resource for this row would be A, B, or C; however, all rows would need to be evaluated to determine which is the best choice for this record.

Explanation of columns:
Month - time period
Sched_Resource - current scheduled resource type & variant
Bin - Bin
Current_Resource - current scheduled resource type
Rank1_Resource - lowest cost resource type for bin
Rank2_Resource - 2nd lowest cost resource type for bin
Rank3_Resource - 3rd lowest cost resource type for bin
Rank4_Resource - 4th lowest cost resource type for bin
Rank5_Resource - 5th lowest cost resource type for bin
Rank6_Resource - 6th lowest cost resource type for bin
CurrentCost - Current expected cost
Rank1_Cost - Cost of Rank1 Resource
Rank2_Cost - Cost of Rank2 Resource
Rank3_Cost - Cost of Rank3 Resource
Rank4_Cost - Cost of Rank4 Resource
Rank5_Cost - Cost of Rank 5 Resource
Rank6_Cost - Cost of Rank 6 Resource
Resource_Class - Class of resource (one value in sample file but there are multiple values here)
Ops - number of times resource will be used
Required_Resources - number of resources required to complete the task for the time period

Hopefully all of this is a little bit more clear than mud! Hoping someone can weed through this and help me out! I am very appreciative of any time any of you can lend!

Thanks again!

Attached Files

.csv   scheduledata.csv (Size: 21.39 KB / Downloads: 4)
sounds like you should consider offering some compensation, and posting under jobs.
(Jun-29-2019, 01:01 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: sounds like you should consider offering some compensation, and posting under jobs.

What do you think would be a fair price for a little side project like this?
You need to consider what you think is a fair price.
Make the offer and see who responds.
I think you'd be surprised, just be honest and offer what you think it's worth to you.
After making a few more attempts at it after finding this (benalexkeen.com/linear-programming-with-python-and-pulp-part-5/) I still cannot get python to do what I want it to do.

I still believe the task is relatively simple, but my lack of knowledge is this issue. So, if someone will code a solution for me, I will pay $210 (assuming approximately 3.5 hours of work at $60 per hour).

Any takers?
If I wasn't so loaded with work, I'd take you up on that.
I'm sure you will get some help.
I did look into it today but was more confused with connecting this with your example csv
(Jun-28-2019, 11:46 PM)aupilot00 Wrote: So, if Rank1_Cost Resource was selected for the task in row 2 (E1) the total cost would be 1596.662 (L2*S2) for this task,
and the required resources for resource E would be 0.34 (T2), and because this exceeds resource E's constraint of 0 (X6), the best resource for this row would be A, B, or C; however, all rows would need to be evaluated to determine which is the best choice for this record.

But i am unfamiliar with pandas and excel so that might make sense to someone fluent in it maybe. I would be willing to help, but i am more likely too inexperienced in the required fields.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jul-01-2019, 02:13 AM)metulburr Wrote: I did look into it today but was more confused with connecting this with your example csv
(Jun-28-2019, 11:46 PM)aupilot00 Wrote: So, if Rank1_Cost Resource was selected for the task in row 2 (E1) the total cost would be 1596.662 (L2*S2) for this task,

But i am unfamiliar with pandas and excel so that might make sense to someone fluent in it maybe. I would be willing to help, but i am more likely too inexperienced in the required fields.

I was trying to show that, becuase of the resource availability constraint, the lowest cost option may not be the right choice for a specific task. To optimize the total cost of the system the program will basically need to try to use the lowest cost resources on the tasks with the largest number of operations and the highest cost resources on the tasks with the lowest number of ops. Doing so would ultimately sub-optimize some tasks but result in the lowest total cost for all of the tasks combined.

Hopefully that provided a bit more clarity.