Python Forum
UnUnloading values from multiple widgets in a container
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UnUnloading values from multiple widgets in a container
All,
I just started using ipywidgets and I am trying to find the ropes, so if this question has been answered previously or the documentation covers it in some way, kindly point me to that section. Essentially, here is a miniature version of the UI I am trying to develop. The question that has got me perplexed is, once I construct a UI like shown below, and the user provides their input, how do I unload the input ? I am hoping to collect values for each of the variables and trigger my logic, but the only thing I see in the documentation talks about using either interact or interactive. However I am not really sure how to use them with multiple widgets, all the examples I have come across seem to point to using them with a single widget. If anyone could point me to a good resource or provide a sample, that would be helpful.
With that classifier, here is what I am trying to do:

style = {'description_width': 'initial'}

def input_tab(tab_list, tab_names_list):
    if len(tab_list) == len(tab_names_list):
        this_tab = Tab()
        this_tab.children = tab_list
        [this_tab.set_title(i, title) for i, title in enumerate(tab_names_list)]
        return this_tab
    else:
        raise ValueError('\n Input lists should be of the same size')

def get_input_panel_num():
    input_1 = widgets.Text(value='3000', description='Input-1', style=style)
    input_2 = widgets.Dropdown(options=['yes', 'no'], description='Select one', value='yes', disabled=False, style=style)
    input_3 = widgets.IntSlider(value=0, min=0, max=1, step=1, description='Input-3', orientation='horizontal', readout=True, 
                               style=style)
    input_list_num = [input_1, input_2, input_3]
    return input_list_num

def get_input_panel_char():
    input_a = widgets.Text(value='3000', description='Input-1', style=style)
    input_b = widgets.Dropdown(options=['yes', 'no'], description='Select one', value='yes', disabled=False, style=style)
    input_c = widgets.IntSlider(value=0, min=0, max=1, step=1, description='Input-3', orientation='horizontal', readout=True, 
                               style=style)
    input_list_char = [input_a, input_b, input_c]
    return input_list_char

def create_master_tab():
    tab_names = ["tab-1", "tab-2"]
    panel_num = VBox(get_input_panel_num())
    panel_char = VBox(get_input_panel_char())
    final = input_tab(tab_list=[panel_num, panel_char], tab_names_list=tab_names)
    return final

demo = create_master_tab()
demo 
Bumping for a response
I'm not familiar with ipywidgets, and I suspect others lacking that knowledge is a big part of why you're not getting responses. That said, I'd have skipped over your thread even if I had the expertise, and here's why...

For anything but the most trivial of issues, and especially for issues where we don't already know the solution, we want to run the code. We want to tinker with it. We want to figure it out ourselves and then give you a helpful response, rather than going back and forth over and over hashing out small details.

The first thing I noticed with your code, after scrolling through it for about a second, was the lack of imports. I was excited at first - I'm pretty confident I can answer any Python question that doesn't include imports, unless it's really exotic. Here's the thing...
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "forum.py", line 35, in <module> demo = create_master_tab() File "forum.py", line 30, in create_master_tab panel_num = VBox(get_input_panel_num()) NameError: name 'VBox' is not defined
I didn't have to run your code to know that this is the result from running it. It took a few seconds of reading code. I suppose I could Google around and try to get it working, but honestly I expect people to put in the maximum effort to help us help them before I go down a rabbit hole like that.

Anytime you're asking a question about code, you should provide full, runnable code, and if there's an error message with that code that needs to be included as well. I don't say this to shame you, but to help you - I could have (and nearly did) just skip over this. No one is going to hold it against you that you didn't know how to ask coding questions before. But if you make a habit of asking questions like this, you'll get similar answers.

tldr the best you can do at this point is make sure your code is runnable, so that people who aren't already familiar with that library can tinker with it. Providing details on how to install that library is probably worthwhile too.
micseydel,
Thank you for your response. The only import that needs to be used for being able to run this is as follows:

import ipywidgets as widgets 
from ipywidgets import VBox

style = {'description_width': 'initial'}

def input_tab(tab_list, tab_names_list):
    if len(tab_list) == len(tab_names_list):
        this_tab = Tab()
        this_tab.children = tab_list
        [this_tab.set_title(i, title) for i, title in enumerate(tab_names_list)]
        return this_tab
    else:
        raise ValueError('\n Input lists should be of the same size')

def get_input_panel_num():
    input_1 = widgets.Text(value='3000', description='Input-1', style=style)
    input_2 = widgets.Dropdown(options=['yes', 'no'], description='Select one', value='yes', disabled=False, style=style)
    input_3 = widgets.IntSlider(value=0, min=0, max=1, step=1, description='Input-3', orientation='horizontal', readout=True, 
                               style=style)
    input_list_num = [input_1, input_2, input_3]
    return input_list_num

def get_input_panel_char():
    input_a = widgets.Text(value='3000', description='Input-1', style=style)
    input_b = widgets.Dropdown(options=['yes', 'no'], description='Select one', value='yes', disabled=False, style=style)
    input_c = widgets.IntSlider(value=0, min=0, max=1, step=1, description='Input-3', orientation='horizontal', readout=True, 
                               style=style)
    input_list_char = [input_a, input_b, input_c]
    return input_list_char

def create_master_tab():
    tab_names = ["tab-1", "tab-2"]
    panel_num = VBox(get_input_panel_num())
    panel_char = VBox(get_input_panel_char())
    final = input_tab(tab_list=[panel_num, panel_char], tab_names_list=tab_names)
    return final

demo = create_master_tab()
demo 
I unfortunately don't know how to set up tldr is, so I will have to pass on that. As for the only required packages anyone needs to install in a virtual environment to be able to run these are:
1. jupyter
2. ipywidgets
3. python

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  __init__() got multiple values for argument 'schema' dawid294 4 1,886 Jan-03-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: buran
  uploading files from a ubuntu local directory to Minio storage container dchilambo 0 398 Dec-22-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: dchilambo
  Upload Files to Azure Storage Container phillyfa 6 580 Dec-22-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
Lightbulb shutdown host from docker container cosmin1805 0 914 Nov-27-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: cosmin1805
  networkx package is not visible in singularity container image erdemath 11 2,181 Oct-14-2022, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  python installation/running inside singularity container erdemath 2 1,689 Sep-21-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: erdemath
  Python in Singularity Container on Ubuntu erdemath 0 876 Aug-31-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: erdemath
  How to combine multiple column values into 1? cubangt 15 2,630 Aug-11-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: cubangt
  Function - Return multiple values tester_V 10 4,319 Jun-02-2021, 05:34 AM
Last Post: tester_V
  Xlsxwriter: Create Multiple Sheets Based on Dataframe's Sorted Values KMV 2 3,441 Mar-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Last Post: KMV