Python Forum
apendng to a list within a class
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
apendng to a list within a class
i am trying to understand classes how to create list within them and how to append to that list.
i guess i missed a basic understanding of appending somewhere. or something else.
but for instance i try to append to a list like this.
when i run this and enter "grape" to be the appended item , nothing gets returned..

class Fruit:
    fruit_list = []
    def __init__(self,name):
        self.name = name

def named(self):
        print("{} is a fruit".format(self.name))

def append1(self):
        inp = input("add a fruit: ") 
        if input == " ":
            self.fruit_list.append(inp)
            return
        self.fruit_list

apple = Fruit('apple')
apple.append1() 
Your input() method asks for a fruit (line 10).

On line 11, you're comparing the input function against a single space. This will never be true, so execution goes to line 14 and the method exits without doing anything.

I assume you meant to compare it to inp instead of input. If you did that and the fruit you entered was a single space, it would add that space it to the list (lines 11-12).
If it were any other string, nothing is done and fruit_list remains the same.

Even if you had modified the list, nothing in this script will show the contents. You'd need to print the attribute (or do something with it) to see the results.
So like this?
class Fruit:
	fruit_l=[]
	def __init__(self,name):
		self.name=name

def named(self):
		print('{} is a fruit'.format(self.name))

def list1(self):
		inp = input('enter a fruit: ')
		if inp:
			self.fruit_l.append(inp)
			print(self.fruit_l)

apple = Fruit('apple')
apple.list1()
That looks more functional. I'm not sure why a "Fruit" object should have another list of fruits, or how it relates to itself, but that code should append to the list and display it.
Couple of observations:
1. It does not make sense for a Fruit class to have a list to add more fruits. Fruit class should be one kind of fruit. You can have a list, outside the class to collect different Fruit instances.
2. fruit_l is class attribute (not an instance attribute) and mutable, it will be shared among all instances of Fruit class, so prepare for a surprise/gotcha experience.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to read module/class from list of strings? popular_dog 1 467 Oct-04-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Class-Aggregation and creating a list/dictionary IoannisDem 1 1,917 Oct-03-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  How to append multiple <class 'str'> into a single List ahmedwaqas92 2 2,315 Jan-07-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ahmedwaqas92
  Appending a list in a class from a callback function snizbatch 5 3,711 Sep-01-2019, 06:27 AM
Last Post: snizbatch
  how to add class instance attributes from list 999masks 2 2,700 Jul-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: 999masks
  Build class to make a Smart list - trying icm63 7 3,444 Mar-28-2019, 08:53 PM
Last Post: icm63
  why my method doesn't find my List in the same class? Scorpio 2 2,378 Jan-31-2019, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Scorpio
  Generate list in class P13N 7 4,334 Dec-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Last Post: P13N
  How to check if class instance exists in a list of class instance objects? sonicblind 23 20,265 May-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Last Post: buran
  Create class instances from list of strings pythonck 1 3,597 Sep-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: ichabod801