Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All pip install attempts are met with SSL error
Using Windows...
Python 3.6.3
When I attempt to install anything using:

Quote:C:\Users\Eric>pip install ssl
Collecting ssl
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/ssl/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:777) - skipping
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ssl (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for ssl

I have found the trusted--host settings but this affects everything that I do in python. I have pyCharm and installing packages fail there as well for the same issue.

How do I resolve this issue at it's root rather than using trusted--host workaround?
is this a personal computer at home or a business computer that might have a web content filter?

Quote:On Unix the default configuration file is: $HOME/.config/pip/pip.conf which respects the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable.

On macOS the configuration file is $HOME/Library/Application Support/pip/pip.conf.

On Windows the configuration file is %APPDATA%\pip\pip.ini.
Do you have a config file with the content of...?
[global]
trusted-host = pypi.python.org
Recommended Tutorials:
Thanks so much for your answer! Perfect! I did not have any folder or file for pip,ini. I created one with the trusted-host line and that helped. That hard codes the workaround. I can now install from the command line and in pyCharm.

(Oct-15-2017, 09:13 PM)metulburr Wrote: is this a personal computer at home or a business computer that might have a web content filter?

A personal computer with a simple network configuration. I also disabled my firewall as a test.

My next question is what is the root cause? This seems like a work around. It bypasses python's attempt to prevent a man in the middle attack. It's like I need a cert installed on my system. How?
(Oct-15-2017, 09:13 PM)metulburr Wrote: is this a personal computer at home or a business computer that might have a web content filter?

Quote:On Unix the default configuration file is: $HOME/.config/pip/pip.conf which respects the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable.

On macOS the configuration file is $HOME/Library/Application Support/pip/pip.conf.

On Windows the configuration file is %APPDATA%\pip\pip.ini.
Do you have a config file with the content of...?
[global]
trusted-host = pypi.python.org

Thank you. Was very helpful
(Oct-15-2017, 09:41 PM)flycast Wrote: My next question is what is the root cause?
i am not sure what the root cause of this is. I think it might be Pycharm related, but i am unsure.
Recommended Tutorials:
this worked
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Cannot-up...-SSL-error
python -m pip install --trusted-host pypi.python.org --trusted-host files.pythonhosted.org --trusted-host pypi.org --upgrade pip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Failed attempts to load Microsoft Appstore Python DLLs piyushd 0 394 Oct-31-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: piyushd
  Install error middlestudent 1 714 Sep-23-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: middlestudent
  wxPython install error carlomscalisi 3 3,546 Jan-17-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Error with pip install coffeeguy 1 2,209 Sep-08-2022, 01:27 AM
  kmeans install error (please help me) muratuzun 3 5,338 May-06-2022, 02:14 PM
  Install any library via pip get an error cannot import name 'SCHEME_KEYS' from 'pip. Anldra12 2 10,490 Jan-04-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Anldra12
  Anaconda pip install mpyc Error pip-script.py is not present Anldra12 2 7,724 Dec-13-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Anldra12
  Minecraft Python install error SomeAcandKid 1 2,311 Oct-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Ronhamas
  Installed pip install openpyxl, Requirement already satisfied, but, still have error jonah88888 3 6,516 Sep-24-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: jonah88888
  error trying to install sslstrip NullAdmin 1 3,984 Mar-11-2021, 09:37 PM
Last Post: buran