Python Forum
Why I feel like quitting Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I feel like quitting Python
(Sep-17-2020, 11:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: perhaps WayFire/compiz is the wrong goal.

(Sep-18-2020, 08:21 AM)ndc85430 Wrote: Having said that, if your goal was to contribute to projects in C/C++, why wouldn't you start with those languages and their ecosystems?

Why Python and not JavaScript or PHP or Java or C++? My intention is to become moderately proficient in the programming language with the easiest to understand syntax with the maximum number of beginner tutorials and refined online courseware. Python is the language I settled on.

In university I majored in Philosophy. The first and only introductory programming course in my final year that I took required students to write a tac-tac-toe program in C#. That was during the 2008 Spring semester. I scored 38%.

Later that fall I enrolled in a community college program in a different city where we were learning VB.Net. As you can imagine, I was distracted in class by reading Slashdot and Phoronix hardware reviews. The mid term for this course required me to write a miles to kilometre conversion GUI app (which I failed - - go figure). And the term assignment was a group project where pairs of two students had to write a calculator - - also a GUI app. I dropped out before the end of the term.

Ever since I have challenged myself to complete those same assignments but using open source software and tools. After I complete 100 PyBite Code Challenges perhaps I will then be able to complete those assignments that I described above from 2008 but using Python and Django. Maybe then I could learn Assembly, C and then C++. After that I will complete as many Algo Expert challenges (specifically “Systems Fundamentals”) as I possibly can. Finally at that point I’ll be prepared to contribute to the WayFire codebase on GitHub. That is my ‘plan’ - - if you can even call it a ‘plan’ because at the rate that I procrastinate with the self-discipline issues that I live with, that end goal is 60 years away form the present day as I explained in my original post. I wish I didn’t have to work my dead-end customer service job or at least that I was more productive with my spare time.

My latest project, where I am writing my first Django app, accepts a web visitor's Chuck E Cheese Neptune credit card and redacts it. The project on GitHub is titled: “CC_Redact_Iter3” (third attempt so far). Here is a live mirror of my dev server (which will probably become a dead link after a day or two so have fun with my demo while you can).

(Sep-18-2020, 08:21 AM)ndc85430 Wrote: In any case, perhaps it is worth reassessing your goals. I do think part of the problem you're having is likely to be down to not working on Python particularly often, so if that is a thing you really want to do, then I suppose you'll have to make some time for it. As with most things, I think little and often is better than a lot every once in a while.

I agree. But as @mileqo points out, that is much easier said than done.

Quote:On another note, I think I started with Linux around 2002 and was a Slackware user for a long time though I've recently switched to openSUSE.

I feel right at home on Linux. I am never lonely as long as I have my Linux Box. Cool

(Sep-18-2020, 08:30 AM)mlieqo Wrote: Honestly to me it seems like you are focusing too much on tutorials / bootcamps etc. I think you should start working on your own stuff, and learning new things as you go along

PyBite Code Challenges (mentioned above) is the task I am working on right now where I am putting all the theory gained from watching Udemy course content into actual practice so that I am now doing instead of watching.

Quote:work on it a little bit every day, or maybe not every day, but taking a 1 - 2 week gaps between programming can be detrimental (speaking from my own experience). Of course easier said than done

I agree with what you are saying, my friend.

Thanks for your attention and for listening to me ramble on and on.

Messages In This Thread
Why I feel like quitting Python - by Drone4four - Sep-17-2020, 09:16 PM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by Larz60+ - Sep-17-2020, 11:48 PM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by ndc85430 - Sep-18-2020, 08:21 AM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by mlieqo - Sep-18-2020, 08:30 AM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by Drone4four - Sep-19-2020, 12:24 AM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by Larz60+ - Sep-19-2020, 01:55 AM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by Drone4four - Sep-19-2020, 02:45 AM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by Drone4four - Sep-19-2020, 04:30 AM
RE: Why I feel like quitting Python - by metulburr - Sep-19-2020, 08:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you feel the Mojo snippsat 1 849 Jun-04-2023, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  I feel it's my time to give back - so here's a free book for beinngers BigTheory88 0 1,695 Jan-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Last Post: BigTheory88