Python Forum
Problems and doubts with Anaconda and Spyder
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems and doubts with Anaconda and Spyder
(Feb-07-2023, 12:59 AM)snippsat Wrote: With 200 post you should know that it's [python] and not [code] Wink
Just use the python icon python in editor

Yes, you are completely right. The only excuse I can give it's that I think the last post I made before this thread, was almost 3 years ago!!! (How quickly time passes!) That's why I had to check an old post of mine to see how to post an image and even to check what website I used to make the images permanent!!!

But probably it's also because I am a bit dumb (only a bit??? hmm... Undecided ).

During my lack of posts, the website was renovated and I even find now difficult to log in and out. Oh, well... Doh

Okay, now a new update. Yes, you are again right, I shouldn't have put my_env between curly brackets. The truth is that after my suspicions, I once again uninstalled and installed miniconda (blimey, after so many times, now I can do it in a few minutes!!! Dance ) creating again a new my_env, but this time without the curly brackets. I used an old program of mine to check Spyder and I did some modifications to include colorama (yes, I'm a very visual, coloured-minded student Cool ), and it was very nice to see a dialogue between the computer (bright green) and the user (bright cyan). Previously I used the program without colorama on IDLE and the dialogue was in blue and black, but it's not the same as with other colours in other IDEs, like Spyder.

(Feb-07-2023, 12:59 AM)snippsat Wrote: So if want test out python 3.11 just make enviroment with it,enviroment with conda is stand alone.

I think I'm going to wait a bit longer for that, I read that Python 3.10 is going to be deprecated in about 3 years and a half, so I'm not in a rush. Besides, I already tried to force install the last version of Spyder, Spyder 5.4.2, and it gave me some troubles and finally I was not able to install it, so unless it's something imperative, I can give it a pass in the meantime.

I still have to see how to use the Jupyter notebook/Jupyterlab, but it would be a bit further on with the book I'm using now.

From this experience, I have learnt (apart that it seems I cannot follow a few simple instructions... Wall ):

• To install and uninstall quickly miniconda (and other programs and their associated files now).
  • How to create an environment inside miniconda.

With this new knowledge, I visualize environment as boxes or better, rooms. In each room you have one project (maybe more?) working with these tools (programs), like let's say, Spyder 5.2 and python 3.7 (if they are compatible or were at the time of that project). You activate this environment, if you want to work in this room, but you can deactivate this environment, and go to another room (environment), activate it, and here you could work with let's say Spyder 5.3 and python 3.10. When you want to leave this room, you deactivate the environment, and go to another room, if you want.

That also means two things:

• You cannot (or want to) work with a project outside the room (environment) where it was created (imagine one enviroment where you are still using, as it seems, theoretically possible, python 2, which wouldn't work, most probably with other projects, with different requirements).
  • As you work along time, you would have eventually many projects, in different rooms (environments), with their own specific versions of, let's say, python (and other programs), which although it seems good to work with, it will also increment hugely the size of miniconda (think about having 6 versions of python, 4 versions of Spyder, 2 versions of Jypyter and so on).

I feel the effect of my coffee intake has almost worn off completely, so it's time to say “Hasta la vista, baby!”.

Thanks again for all your help,
newbieAuggie2019

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
Steve Jobs

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problems and doubts with Anaconda and Spyder - by newbieAuggie2019 - Feb-07-2023, 05:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update Anaconda and Spyder?? Tuxedo 6 7,169 Feb-14-2021, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Tuxedo
  Notepad vs anaconda spyder or python shell ShadowAlpha 2 3,042 Jun-26-2019, 06:31 AM
Last Post: perfringo