Python Forum
Can Python be my replacement for VBScript?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Python be my replacement for VBScript?
I read yesterday that Microsoft is going to discontinue VBScript in future releases of Windows which will eventually create a few problems for me so I'm wondering if Python can become my replacement scripting language. The bottom line is that I'm retired and would only be using (learning) any alternative language to replace a couple of small applications so I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time learning a new language that I would seldom use once my applications are converted. Here's a brief description of both of my apps:

1. A VBScript that I can invoke from my desktop that opens a log file. parses though that log file looking for a particular string. Once that string of data is found, the date/time within that string is compared to the current date/time and a message box is displayed showing how many days have elapsed since application that generated the log file successfully ran.

2. An .HTA application that has contains VBScript code. The Hypertext code created a small GUI that allows input of two dollar amounts and upon pressing the GO button the script calculates the amount of principal and interest has been applied to a home mortgage account and displays those two values in the GUI.

So, my question to those of you that know Python, is whether Python can be setup to replace my VBScript program and can Python be be embedded within an .HTA program replacing the VBScript that's currently in place? If Python is not suitable as a language for both of my applications is there a language better suited for my needs?

Messages In This Thread
Can Python be my replacement for VBScript? - by Moondoggy - Oct-12-2023, 05:53 PM