Python Forum
Variable for the value element in the index function??
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variable for the value element in the index function??
Dean,

I was a little shy to show much code, since I'm guessing that most of the folks here make a pretty good living by writing and editing code for years now.

In contrast to them, I just started writing Python for the first time last week, and I'm far from making my first dollar with it since my skills are very rudimentary at best.

Also, I didn't want to get confused by comments about parts of my code that might be clumsy or weak, but were working, when I was trying to focus on solving the only compliler problem I had. I wasn't even sure if my question might not be too dumb to warrant an answer. I should have just waded on in and been more trusting I guess.

Last week I watched the four hour introduction to Python, from Giraffe Academy, on YouTube, and now I'm working on trying to apply those concepts in my own little projects, combining the various ideas. I don't really expect to rise to the level of being a career coder, since I'm not that young anymore, but I was hoping to get enough Python to perhaps get through the Grow with Google program on cyber security. Since Python and SQL are part of that certification program, I thought I had better just see if Python was even possible for me to learn quickly.

About 30 years ago, I did some very light programming in Basic and Pascal, and later I took a semester college class in Cobol and also one in C++, so I'm not completely ignorant of the coding world (just mostly ignorant). Since that time though, I haven't coded a line in any language, and I essentially only used computers for office tasks, or web browsing. I guessed that I would know pretty quick if learning Python was feasible, or ridiculous, at this stage of life. As long as the cyber security waters don't run too deep into coding, I'm thinking I might be able to make it.

My little problem program is working now, and I'll post it, so you can see what I'm learning. The translate function and some of the import stuff I barely understand, but I wrote every character of it myself, with a little consulting from internet sources where I got stuck. This is my longest program in Python so far, and I've done about 17 of them now in the past two weeks. Thanks for the tips!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Variable for the value element in the index function?? - by Learner1 - Jan-20-2024, 09:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variable is not defined error when trying to use my custom function code fnafgamer239 4 763 Nov-23-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: rob101
  Printing the variable from defined function jws 7 1,672 Sep-03-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Function parameter not writing to variable Karp 5 1,197 Aug-07-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Karp
  Index Function not recognized in Python 3 Peter_B_23 1 1,512 Jan-08-2023, 04:52 AM
  Retrieve variable from function labgoggles 2 1,153 Jul-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Last Post: labgoggles
  Cant transfer a variable onto another function KEIKAS 5 2,063 Feb-09-2022, 10:17 PM
  myList.insert(index, element) question ChrisF 1 1,751 Aug-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  How i can add elements to table index of element blazej2533 3 2,151 Dec-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
Question Matching variable to a list index Gilush 17 6,322 Nov-30-2020, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  How to get index of minimum element between 3 & 8 in list Mekala 2 2,662 Nov-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE