Python Forum
I may need some testing / review help with socket server exercise
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I may need some testing / review help with socket server exercise
Hi there,

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into creating this exercise! Here are a few insights and suggestions based on your description:

Exercise Scope: Creating a program to listen to both UDP and TCP simultaneously is indeed a practical exercise, especially in network programming. You're right that this typically involves multithreading or asynchronous programming to handle concurrent connections effectively.

Multithreading vs. Asynchronous: While multithreading can work for handling multiple connections, asynchronous programming (using libraries like asyncio in Python) is another approach that's increasingly common and efficient for such tasks. It might be worth exploring both approaches or mentioning that in your exercise.

Testing Approach: To ensure your exercise is robust, consider testing it thoroughly with various scenarios, including edge cases and errors that might occur during network communication. Automated tests can help validate the correctness and performance of the solutions students submit.

Feedback and Iteration: Encourage participants to provide feedback on the exercise. This can help you refine it further and address any unclear instructions or potential pitfalls that arise during testing.

Learning Resources: Provide references or links to additional resources on multithreading, network programming, and best practices in Python. This can enrich the learning experience for students tackling your exercise.

Overall, it's great to see your enthusiasm for improving the practical relevance of coding exercises. Keep iterating based on feedback and your own learning journey in Python!

Messages In This Thread
RE: I may need some testing / review help with socket server exercise - by johnthomson112 - Jun-23-2024, 08:07 AM