Python Forum
The most outrageous moments of my career
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most outrageous moments of my career
There's this guy in the office - in one of his commits he has added a dot to this line
# This Python file uses the following encoding: utf-8
This is the only thing he changed in the module - obviously, someone can actually mistake this line for a user-written comment  Wall , but since utf-8. is illegal encoding, the build was broken. So I was forced to add below this line the following warning
##################################################################
#                          IMPORTANT
# The line above is not a comment - it should not be changed!!!!!
##################################################################
and I also sent a mail to colleagues with the following warning
Quote:Dear all,
Lines like one below are not comments – they are encoding instructions. Load <No> was broken by adding dot to it – see <ticket>
# This Python file uses the following encoding: utf-8
This is the way encoding is defined when interpreter is not specified with a shebang line – which is not needed, when a module is not executable on its own.
See PEP-0263 for details

In just 2 days the same person broke the load again - by creating circular import for the sake of .... annotation  Doh

Obviously, he did not test his code after either of those "cosmetic" changes  Angry
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The most outrageous moments of my career - by volcano63 - Jun-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Career change. Advice hugely appreciated! JABedford 5 3,768 Sep-28-2017, 05:51 AM
Last Post: JABedford
  best python specialization to career at home with? meems 0 3,261 Dec-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Last Post: meems