Python Forum
"Mother" from Alien terminal game.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Mother" from Alien terminal game.
If you've seen "Alien" you know what I mean. It's a '70's scifi text interface.

The elements I think I require are:

1) An effects layer to apply to surfaces to get the fuzzy, green text with scan lines, flicker, dimming, etc...

2) A curser that stamps out the text (maybe read/write from .txt file?). I can do this in the actual termial, but I want to do it to a window surface. Maybe I can use my tile_map function to print out image tiles. I can put a time.sleep() somewhere in there.. I think. No?

3) An active promt. It needs to match the message text. That means I have to map the entire keyboard and write it the text same way, unless there is an easier way.

If I want to use the tileset from Dwarf Fortress for this, what is the method to use one part of the sheet for each character? An off-set if I use a Rect smaller than the image? Cropping?

I can start on the message typing, but I have to learn how to use a sprite sheet like that.

The display effect I really need pushing off point for.

The story of the game is that you are trapped in an isolated area of a critically damaged space station and need to use a barely funtional terminal to control a repair drone to find yourself and conduct your own rescue.

Messages In This Thread
"Mother" from Alien terminal game. - by michael1789 - Jun-06-2019, 07:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From python game in terminal to a website game using bottle Njanez 0 3,911 Aug-13-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Njanez
  Alien Invasion kleeklee 2 6,174 May-28-2020, 09:06 PM
Last Post: kleeklee