Python Forum
New to Python, philosophical question
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Python, philosophical question
Warning: I am not really familiar with Power BI, so I may be misunderestimating it.

One reason would be versatility. There are probably certain analyses and visualizations that you can do in Python but you can't do in Power BI. This may allow you to fine tune things to your particular business, which is not something Microsoft does well in my experience. Also, my experience with SAS vs. R is that new tools often hit the free tool first. A given tool is often developed in the free tool because one person wants it and they develop it. The commercial tool is going to require multiple people to want it before they develop it.

Another reason is scripting. I'm not sure how much scripting capability Power BI has, but I'm guessing not much. Say you have an analysis and some visualizations you want to run, but you want to run all of that on 50 different subsets of your data. Once you've got the base analysis/visualization code done, that's very easy to do in Python.

Whether either of these reasons is actually valid for your business, you would have to determine.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Messages In This Thread
RE: New to Python, philosophical question - by ichabod801 - Nov-15-2019, 04:28 PM