Python Forum
Learning Python, motivation problem
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Python, motivation problem
Hello fellow Pythoners,
I'm newbie at programming and I have decided to try myself with Python.
I bought a couple of books, bookmarked some tutorials and tried to learn the thing for 2 months now.
That included: variables and data types, lists, dictionaries, if's, loops, functions, classes, handling files (CSVs, JSONs).
I made some progress up to the point that I'm not a total beginner now, but I'm not sure how to proceed further to the more advanced topics.
Here is the list of books that I've used:
'A Smarter Way to Learn Python', by Mark Myers (very useful for total beginners, covered 100% of it),
'Python Crash Course', by Eric Matthes (good explanatory book, I've covered cca. 30% of it),
'Automate the boring stuff with Python', by Al Sweigart (covered cca. 50% of it, good explanatory chapters but the projects are hard to grasp for beginners), and
'Learning Python' by Mark Lutz (monster book with 1500 pages, covered around 20% of it, very detailed but somewhat complicated for beginners).

Since I'm studying alone, without mentor or course, I'm not sure how should I proceed further. Pursuing those books is becoming complicated, because the concepts are increasing in difficulty and simply following and re-typing the code within them is not so useful as at the beginning. I should do projects but it's easier said than done (with my very limited knowledge).
I've found a dozen of practice tutorials and websites, but it is very painful work, struggling with each problem, googling, reviewing other solutions on Stackoverflow, Youtube etc. I feel like the more I learn, less I know.

My ultimate goal is to switch my career to coding and eventually to try to get a junior coding job. However, my motivation is starting to decline as I'm baffled with sheer complexity of a functions, methods, modules (and besides Python, I should be learning other stuff as well).

Any useful advice how to proceed further? Maybe someone was(is) in a similar situation?

Messages In This Thread
Learning Python, motivation problem - by tarmiricmi - Sep-14-2018, 12:10 PM