Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tarfile but not to a file
S3 only supports sequential writing. it doesn't even support appending. the only form of network resumption it supports is a kind of weird multi-part where you have to do some weird sizing steps (i may try to do this for extremely large tarballs). that's OK for me since all i will be doing is storing whole tarballs right from the beginning.

that and reading them, either to get the headers, or to restore files. yeah, it's an archival backup system. i am storing files as tarballs to store file metadata to represent things S3 cannot do. i currently use S3 as a backup with file data as the S3 object content. i can see the size and the time the object was stored in S3. symlinks and other things aren't backed up at all, so i have a separate cron job to scan the filesystem for them and make a tarball of them that ends up being backed up like a file. this new scheme will also let me store mod time, change time, owner, and group. or i might end up storing my own archival format instead of tar. either way, one part of this scheme is to save replaced or deleted data in a dated subarchive, thus having a reverse incremental backup which can be trimmed as desired or restored from any backup date. S3 can't rename objects but it can copy them to a new object damn fast (done at the storage system which is probably a bunch of big SANs).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Messages In This Thread
tarfile but not to a file - by Skaperen - Sep-15-2018, 05:15 AM
RE: tarfile but not to a file - by DeaD_EyE - Sep-15-2018, 02:07 PM
RE: tarfile but not to a file - by Skaperen - Sep-15-2018, 07:29 PM