Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do I install Python?
I don't want to use an installer for various reasons.

I don't want it splatting files all over my disk drive in places I don't know. Using an installer does not make it portable. I don't want my registry modified.

I don't want my Windows path modified.

When installers are used, you can't uninstall the software. If you go to Windows application, and uninstall something that has been installed by an installer, it will not clean up everything. It leaves residue and crap that always comes back and jacks up things later. If you have been in this business long enough, you would be wise enough to know to never use an installer for anything ever, for any reason.

I want my Windows box to look as clean as the day it was installed, using portable apps if I can. If a company does not provide a portable app or a .zip file to install their software, I find something else.

I don't want files splatted all over or anything modified anywhere. People who write installers never get it right. Installers jack up my system.

I want to unzip a .zip file, put the directory where the .exe is located in my path, and boom, I am done with it.

Using this method lets me very easily switch versions. Using the various version switchers out there are problematic. I would rather change an environment variable to switch versions of python used, or use virtualenv.

If Python comes in a .zip format, then I should be able to use and run that.

If it does not work in .zip format I will switch languages, I'm tired of Python already with the 2.x 3.x mess.

It's been a nightmare, and any supposed time savings on language conciseness over other languages has been lost with library compatibility issues between 2.x and 3.x. I would rather write three lines of code, where it would take Python only three characters, if using the language the requires writing three lines of code meant that I would not have other library and dependency issues that I do right now with Python.

With other languages I have a choice of package managers. With some, there is no installation of a dependency, I only need to declare a library as a dependency in the build file and I'm done. The build system takes care of it, and things do not get jacked up when I upgrade the language version. This is a tangent. Right now I just want to get pip working, that's it, with no error messages that make no sense.

It's a big fat mess and I have lost weeks out of my life because of this with inherited Python code bases dumped on me, that I would just simply rather toss it in the garbage, and look at another language at this point.

Messages In This Thread
How do I install Python? - by devlocalca - Feb-06-2019, 08:25 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by buran - Feb-06-2019, 09:09 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by devlocalca - Feb-06-2019, 09:23 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by buran - Feb-06-2019, 09:24 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by devlocalca - Feb-06-2019, 09:30 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by buran - Feb-06-2019, 09:47 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by metulburr - Feb-06-2019, 09:53 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by devlocalca - Feb-06-2019, 11:14 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by buran - Feb-06-2019, 11:44 AM
RE: How do I install Python? - by metulburr - Feb-06-2019, 12:31 PM
RE: How do I install Python? - by buran - Feb-06-2019, 12:32 PM