Python Forum
Installing Python and pointing it to required libraries
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Python and pointing it to required libraries
Hello, more experienced people.

I am responsible for installing software on our CentOS cluster. Several users have requested a new Python version be installed, with extra packages. Sadly, I do not have access to the package management system, so I have to do everything by hand. (This does not mean I should not be able to install PIP and use it... I hope)

However, the first big problem is compiling Python itself. I have:

1) Downloaded Python 3.7.2 from https://www.python.org/downloads/source/

2) To get PIP to work I need _ctypes. To get Python to compile with _ctypes I need libffi, which I got from https://sourceware.org/libffi/ which configures and makes smoothly, and generates header file ffi.h, ffi_common.h and library libffi.so. So far so good.

3) I tried to configure Python using:

./configure --with-valgrind --with-libs='-L/trinity/opt/apps/software/libffi/libffi-3.2.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/.libs -lffi'
as the with-libs argument comes back into the configure log in compile commands such as [snippet from config.log]:

configure:10917: gcc -pthread -o conftest conftest.c
-L/trinity/opt/apps/software/libffi/libffi-3.2.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/.libs -lffi -lpthread
-ldl >&5
4) Also I hardcoded the path to the header file in the configure script, which I know is ugly, but I saw no way to provide it as an argument.

LIBFFI_INCLUDEDIR="/trinity/opt/apps/software/libffi/libffi-3.2.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include"
5) Now I can make, and I am still stuck with the issue that libffi cannot be found, so my efforts to point Python to its location were wrong... (Also a bunch of other misery, but that is another day's worries) :

Error:
running build running build_ext INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers INFO: Could not locate ffi libs and/or headers Python build finished successfully! The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found: _bz2 _curses _curses_panel _hashlib _lzma _sqlite3 _ssl _tkinter _uuid readline To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name. The following modules found by detect_modules() in setup.py, have been built by the Makefile instead, as configured by the Setup files: _abc atexit pwd time Failed to build these modules: _ctypes Could not build the ssl module! Python requires an OpenSSL 1.0.2 or 1.1 compatible libssl with X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set1_host(). LibreSSL 2.6.4 and earlier do not provide the necessary APIs, https://github.com/libressl-portable/portable/issues/381
What is the best way to indicate the locations of required libraries and header files?
What probably obvious mistake did I make?

Thank you for your time and expertise!

Messages In This Thread
Installing Python and pointing it to required libraries - by hooiberg - May-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adding libraries to embedded Python as a ZIP The_Oman 0 1,279 May-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Last Post: The_Oman
  "SUMIF" type query in Python (help required) BlainEillimatta 0 891 Oct-06-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: BlainEillimatta
Question Trouble installing modules/libraries and getting Notepad++ to show cyrillic letters Dragiev 6 2,325 Jul-24-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dragiev
  Python script with local libraries zazas321 0 1,006 Jul-05-2022, 04:55 AM
Last Post: zazas321
  python 3: TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str' wardancer84 3 6,593 Jul-09-2021, 05:55 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Sorting Elements via parameters pointing to those elements. rpalmer 3 2,652 Feb-10-2021, 04:53 PM
Last Post: rpalmer
  Package python script which has different libraries as a single executable or script tej7gandhi 1 2,658 May-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: keames
  Why is this pointing to the objects hshivaraj 6 2,877 Apr-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Last Post: hshivaraj
  Installing libraries wendysling 3 3,806 Mar-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Last Post: wendysling
  What are ways of pointing cross-compiled origin source line for python? wyvogew 2 2,863 Feb-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: wyvogew