Python Forum
Python code to copy data from multiple workbooks into master sheet
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python code to copy data from multiple workbooks into master sheet
I have to copy data from 6 workbooks and paste it into a master workbook. All the workbooks are located in a folder on my desktop: C:\Users\f6565\Desktop\data

The workbooks contain a sheet named 'Main Data', I have to open each workbook, go to sheet 'Main Data’, select columns range A to GJ starting from row 5 to row 'x' (end of the rows), then copy and paste the data range into the master worksheet. In the master worksheet (named MAIN DATA), I paste the data into Column A row 5 till the end and continue pasting/appending the data as I copy data from more workbooks. Eventually, the master workbook has the data in columns A row 5 to GJ from every workbook in one sheet.

The columns range A to GJ and starting from row 5 always remains constant in all the sheets (Main Data) of every workbook. Each workbook contains several sheets, but I am only interested in sheet ‘Main Data’. I have to repeat the same steps for the 6 workbooks and continue pasting/appending the data into master sheet. So, I was wondering if someone could please help me to create a python code for this?
I was able to do this with VB and it works. However I need to be able to do this with python entirely!. Here is my VBA code:
Sub CopyRange()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim wkbDest As Workbook
    Dim wkbSource As Workbook
    Set wkbDest = ThisWorkbook
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Const strPath As String = "C:\Users\f6565\Desktop\data\"
    ChDir strPath
    strExtension = Dir("*.xlsx*")
    Do While strExtension <> ""
        Set wkbSource = Workbooks.Open(strPath & strExtension)
        With wkbSource
            LastRow = .Sheets("Main Data").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            .Sheets("Main Data").Range("A5:GJ" & LastRow).Copy wkbDest.Sheets("MAIN DATA").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            .Close savechanges:=False
        End With
        strExtension = Dir
    Loop
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
I'm not so good with python and would really appreciate your help!

Please let me know if you require any clarification.

Many thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Python code to copy data from multiple workbooks into master sheet - by Fatman003 - Aug-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New on python. Needs help with Google sheet jeromep 1 161 Apr-25-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Why is the copy method name in python list copy and not `__copy__`? YouHoGeon 2 289 Apr-04-2024, 01:18 AM
Last Post: YouHoGeon
  python convert multiple files to multiple lists MCL169 6 1,571 Nov-25-2023, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Iqratech
  How to copy work sheet data one workbook to other? sayyedkamran 2 712 Nov-03-2023, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Python and pandas: Aggregate lines form Excel sheet Glyxbringer 12 1,925 Oct-31-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Copy data from Excel and paste into Discord (Midjourney) Joe_Wright 4 2,079 Jun-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: rajeshgk
  python multiple try except block in my code -- can we shorten code mg24 10 6,183 Nov-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  python Extract sql data by combining below code. mg24 1 971 Oct-03-2022, 10:25 AM
Last Post: mg24
  Load multiple Jason data in one Data Frame vijays3 6 1,573 Aug-12-2022, 05:17 PM
Last Post: vijays3
  OCR-Python from Multi TIFF to HOCR getting only Data from 1st Page of multiple TIFF JOE 0 2,169 Feb-18-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: JOE