Python Forum
PyQt5: How do you set the user input of a line edit to a specific variable?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyQt5: How do you set the user input of a line edit to a specific variable?
buran Wrote:Unless PyQt is doing some weird stuff (which I doubt), it imports the whole PyQt.QtWidgets. As I said the difference is what references are available after that in the namespace.
I believe I covered that in my update which appears to have been a cross-post situation -- and your above statement does not counter the fact that doing it as import PyQt.QtWidgets is lazy coding as opposed to from PyQt.QtWidgets import SpecificMethod and I stand on the fact that lazy coding is bad coding but it gets perpetuated a lot

buran Wrote:Regarding the super() - it's "mandatory" in case of multiple inheritance. And in case of single inheritance you can do just super().__init__(*args, **kwargs), i.e. it's not required to pass explicit reference inside super(). In any case your statement that using super() is wrong is misleading and incorrect. And in the example 8args, **kwargs is just that - example.
No it is not misleading apparently you have not bothered to fully research super( ) the rare case is just that a rather rare case and that almost every simpler program created especially by the folks that ask the simpler questions on here are never going to encounter that rare case and telling them to use super() without explaining the pitfalls is irresponsible and using it for anything but its rare case is lazy coding and thus bad coding as it adds a layer of complexity that is not needed and brings along with it the issues that get created by using super( ) Issues mind you that if you do not understand because you are not aware if its pitfalls you can easily do more easily than using the explicit method

Messages In This Thread
RE: PyQt5: How do you set the user input of a line edit to a specific variable? - by Denni - Dec-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PyQt] PyQt5 QTableView SQLite : edit cell HeinKurz 2 2,530 Mar-27-2023, 10:41 AM
Last Post: HeinKurz
  [PyGUI] [Solved]Help storing in user input from line edit Extra 2 1,819 May-12-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Extra
  [Tkinter] Help with input from specific devices Noob_hobbyist 3 2,446 Feb-02-2021, 04:11 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Convert combobox user input in to date with tkinter Ame 8 6,881 Jul-01-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  Create an identification code from user input PeroPuri 1 1,938 Apr-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  [PyQt] Python PyQt5 - Change label text dynamically based on user Input ppel123 1 13,858 Mar-20-2020, 07:21 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  [Tkinter] Is there a way to sleep without stopping user input? GalaxyCoyote 2 2,187 Oct-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Denni
  [Tkinter] Registering user's drop down menu choice and finding corresponding line in files ShadeLily 2 2,073 Oct-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Last Post: joe_momma
  Huge code problems (buttons(PyQt5),PyQt5 Threads, Windows etc) ZenWoR 0 2,881 Apr-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: ZenWoR
  [Tkinter] help please, checking the user input and outputting the result tomkovladko 3 2,789 Mar-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Last Post: joe_momma