Python Forum
Intuitively understanding Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intuitively understanding Python
I've been learning Python from one of the No Starch Press books. "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes. I've started on the first project - an Alien Invasion game. I can copy/paste code from the book and it works fine. He explains how stuff works and I may think I understand how it works at the time but as soon as I go off the rails and try to do my own thing it all falls apart.

I want to put a scrolling star background in the game and I've found tutorials online that explain how to do it, and I have a file that successfully does what I want to do. The problem I'm running into is the book pushes refactorization - splitting up your programs into multiple files. I want to have my scrolling background in a separate file that is accessed by the main program. It goes through how to do this, and I'm trying to do that, and all I get is a giant pile of errors when I run the program. I've spent days trying to figure out the right way to do it, and rewritten my background file multiple times. I just can't do it.

I feel really frustrated because I feel like I can copycat code but don't intuitively understand what it is that I'm typing. I want to become literate in Python, and that means knowing more than just copying code. Is there a resource that teaches Python better than this book does? In a way that helps me understand Python in a more intuitive way so I can code from memory rather than copying from somewhere else?

Messages In This Thread
Intuitively understanding Python - by iofhua - Feb-03-2020, 05:28 PM
RE: Intuitively understanding Python - by Jan_97 - Feb-04-2020, 08:58 PM
RE: Intuitively understanding Python - by micseydel - Feb-04-2020, 11:47 PM
RE: Intuitively understanding Python - by perfringo - Feb-05-2020, 08:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding Python version releases venami 3 3,072 Aug-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Last Post: venami