Python Forum
A Simple PyQt5 Class
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Simple PyQt5 Class
Okay @snippsat as stated and I know this because I have already informed @Axel_Erfurt about the issues with using super() so I know he knows.

Second not using super() is not a preference it is called quality coding something everyone ought to be promoting. Further your logic would have you jumping off a cliff just because everyone else was doing it (aka the Lemming effect). The really sad thing is that you state the your entire Admin/Mod group has accepted this very bad coding practice as acceptable. Probably because you did not bother to fully research it nor fully understand why it was created to begin with. The whole concept of super() as it is being abused is horrible coding. It was created for a rather rare occurring situation where introducing three new problematic issues is the trade off for dealing with that rare occurrence. Then for some hair-brained reason others chose to adopt this and use it every where. So when you use super() you are adding 3 additional issues that you have to make sure you properly code for even though you most likely do not even need to use super() because you are not dealing with that rather rare issue it was designed for.

I will save you the long discussion about the facts but you as and Admin ought to be all over this and have thoroughly investigated it before you apply your stamp of approval to highly bad coding practices. By the way I am not some programmer-wanna-be I am a software engineer with over 30+ years of experience in diverse programming environments. Note only do I know what I am talking about but I am also a tutor and have helped numerous folks understand how to code and how to determine the fact from fiction when it comes to coding practices. This is to say I do not take stuff at the surface just because a bunch of potential Lemmings are saying it is so. I dig down deep into the facts of the matter to find out the actual truth. Which is to say I have read those links you provided and I can counter each and everyone of them with why they are wrong because I actually dug a lot deeper than apparently you did. Also in PyQt5 documentation examples they show sub-classing QThreads which is NOT they way it works actually in PyQt5 and it is a known issue with their documentation -- it is sometimes just wrong as it has not been updated. So becareful what you use for a source to back your incorrect stance.

So @snippsat I am simply going to ask you 2 questions if you can answer these then you will have the knowledge you need.

1) What was the true reason that super() was created (aka what is that rare coding issue)

2) What are the 3 coding issues that you need to guard against that super() creates when you add it to a program

If you cannot answer these 2 questions then you are blowing smoke and perpetuating a problem rather than solving one

Lastly if you and your entire Admin/mod group want me to stop talking out against this very bad coding practice. Prove that your position is correct, and not by quoting some Lemming who has propagated a lie. Learn the facts and speak to them.

Note I am perfectly fine with adding you to my list of very bad forums that promote bad coding practices and adding you to my blog so that others can find out about it before wasting their time coming here. Again I teach this stuff, I conduct a free online classrooms as such I touch a lot of folks because of that and information can spread very fast due to that Lemming affect you seem to adhere to as you are not the only fish in the sea.

If you are truly interested in helping others with coding then come join one of the classrooms it is not much different than a forum except that you can give/receive more extensive help.

Messages In This Thread
A Simple PyQt5 Class - by zoro - Feb-21-2020, 08:03 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by zoro - Feb-22-2020, 07:40 AM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Axel_Erfurt - Feb-22-2020, 03:44 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by zoro - Feb-23-2020, 11:13 AM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Axel_Erfurt - Feb-23-2020, 02:53 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Denni - Feb-24-2020, 03:03 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by snippsat - Feb-28-2020, 01:07 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Denni - Feb-28-2020, 04:25 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by snippsat - Feb-28-2020, 05:33 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Denni - Feb-28-2020, 05:43 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Gribouillis - Feb-28-2020, 05:56 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Denni - Feb-28-2020, 09:23 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Gribouillis - Feb-28-2020, 10:13 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by Denni - Feb-28-2020, 10:47 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by snippsat - Feb-28-2020, 11:42 PM
RE: A Simple PyQt5 Class - by micseydel - Mar-02-2020, 07:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help needed running a simple function in pyqt5 diodes 27 8,670 Jan-24-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: GetOnData
  Huge code problems (buttons(PyQt5),PyQt5 Threads, Windows etc) ZenWoR 0 2,862 Apr-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: ZenWoR