Python Forum
It seems like the overall Python syntax would be error prone
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It seems like the overall Python syntax would be error prone
(Apr-02-2020, 12:12 AM)CynthiaMoore Wrote:
(Apr-01-2020, 08:29 PM)stullis Wrote: One main benefit of Python's syntax: it forces coders to properly indent their code.
I am 100% behind proper indentation and all other readability measures, but I'll be interested to see how many times I get a maddeningly elusive bug because I realized that a line of code in one level of nesting belonged in a different level and didn't quite get the indentations lined up correctly.

I guess if I were designing a language today, I'd look at including the End statements and then having the IDE enforce the indentation. With modern graphic tools, the IDE could also do something with color or font or highlighting or something. It's very different from when I used to type BAL statements onto punch cards on an 029. Tongue

Hi,

I have already forked Python to have proper { } blocks and get rid of this fancy indentation rules. If is there anybody interested I can make my git become public or share the diff file. To be clear, the forked version can still continue to work on indented-style files, you can just decide every time you open a statement if you want to use the indent-style or { }.

Messages In This Thread
RE: It seems like the overall Python syntax would be error prone - by davide73_italy - Jun-15-2021, 10:38 PM