Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PySerial delay
Geeting! I stumbled across this forum in search of help so hopefully someone here has the magic answer.
I have a python script that pulls JSON data, and spit it to an Arduino. The arduino returns a number in about 1/4 of a second but somehow its lost and doesn't show up on the input buffer if I used pyserial write within the last few seconds.

Here is a tidbit of the code.
This is settings for the serial connection.
ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyUSB0', baudrate = 115200, parity=serial.PARITY_NONE, stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE, bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS, timeout=0.1, write_timeout=0.1)
And here is the portion of the write followed by read

def serial_transmit(data):
    waittimer = time.time() + 5
    devid = int(data["networkID"])
    print (devid)
    tempdata = str(data)
    print (tempdata)
    transmitbuffer = tempdata.encode()
    print(ser.write(transmitbuffer))
    sleep(0.1)
    readserdata = b''
    print ("sending")
    print (ser.out_waiting)
    while len(readserdata) < 1:
        if (time.time() > waittimer):
            return False
        readserdata = ser.read(1)
        sleep(0.1)
The above code fails to receive anything from the arduino even those the arduino replies in 1/4 of a second.
Now if I tell the arduino to wait 2 seconds before sending the number, it works fine.

I added a bunch of print lines to make see how long it takes to reach the ser.read (which it makes it to the read in less than 1/10 of a second) but no matter what I do, the receive buffer never receives that number if its sent within a second of pyserial sending the first data.

I poked around. added various pauses but no matter what I do best I can tell us I'm using pyserial wrong where if I send data, the receive port isn't listening in time and that number is lost.

As another test I used miniterm.py to make sure I can send that string and receive the number which I do just fine.

Thank you all for you help!!!

Messages In This Thread
PySerial delay - by mikeybg - May-08-2020, 06:44 AM
RE: PySerial delay - by mikeybg - May-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mesure delay time in network (graph) leemao 0 4,804 Jul-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: leemao
  Sending response delay michalt38 1 26,034 Feb-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Last Post: sparkz_alot