Python Forum
matplotlib for better waveform display
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
matplotlib for better waveform display
Hi,
I'm trying to use matplotlib for audio waveforms to duplicate some of the features of Audacity. The two things I like are:
1. a moving line over the wave-form as the audio plays, associating position with sound
2. real-time graphing, revealing graph at the same time as the associated audio plays.

Graphing chunks in python is slow (bordering on slower than the audio), so I don't want to use python to play and graph chunk by chunk. Matplotlib graphs whole files nice and fast but I can't found matplotlib documentation that discusses either a "slow-motion plot" or a moving position line over a current graph.

My next efforts will focus on getting #1 by plotting a line on a second transparent layer above the graph but I welcome any informed suggestions as to how that might work or what's a better approach.
As for #2, I'm completely in the dark and would appreciate any suggestions on how to achieve it.
Thanks for the brain cycles,

Jeff

Messages In This Thread
matplotlib for better waveform display - by jefflawr - Aug-14-2020, 01:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to display <IPython.core.display.HTML object>? pythopen 3 46,070 May-06-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: pramod08728
  Matplotlib: How do I convert Dates from Excel to use in Matplotlib JaneTan 1 3,269 Mar-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: buran
Information Unable to display joystick's value from Python onto display box MelfoyGray 2 2,260 Nov-11-2020, 02:23 AM
Last Post: MelfoyGray