Python Forum
Yahoo_fin, Pandas: how to convert data table structure in csv file
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahoo_fin, Pandas: how to convert data table structure in csv file
Help vampire. hahahahaha. I think it is exaggerated to call me that after having asked two questions on this forum. I didn't asked for help about importing csv and incorpotaring csv column data into the python script. You volunteered that on your own after I provided the Excel VBA code. I merely said in that post that alternatively instead of using Excel VBA it could be done with python code but I didn't know how to do it. I really didn't want to spend the time to figure it out on my own. So, I left it to somebody else to post it. I did not need the python solution. I was fully happy using the VBA instead.

About my VBA skill. 35 years ago I took a couple semester of Turbo Pascal as an undergraduate. After that I did not program for 25 years. Then 10 years ago we tried in the office to solve the problem of finding key opinion leaders in various disease areas. My opinion was that key opinion leaders can be found in the publication literature and that they could be extracted from the literature database using Excel. I had a very clear idea about how to do that but I had no VBA skills. So, I joined an Excel VBA forum and I broke up the large computation work flow into very small steps. At each step where I didn't know how to code it I asked on the forum. I always asked using an example unrelated to my project that would teach me the concept of a particular programing step. By literally asking a hundred of such questions I finally finished my program. Despite all these questions I absolutely do not think that I acted like a help vampire. The help in the Excel VBA forum was absolutely outstanding and none of the experts complained. By the end of the project I had learned enough to continue developing other programs on my own. I can only recommend learning a programming language this way. It was fun and efficient.

After this first program I developed Excel VBA programs to do text mining, clinical trial data analysis, databasing publication records, various programs to do analysis of chemical and pharmacological data. And most recently I have done a large conceptual work to show that data-to-text (NLG) can be done in Excel using VBA. Data-to-text is a big issue in pharma especially in paperwork preparation for clinical trial data filing. All this was possible because of what I learned in developing the initial key opinion leader program. Yet, I would consider my skill not higher than intermediate. I am aware of various areas in VBA programming where I know very little about. I learn only what I need. After all, programing for me has always remained only a side project at work. I am scientist, not a programmer.

In all my interactions with VBA experts on the Excel VBA forum I never had an awful experience like this one in the python forum. And that basically in my first interaction on this forum. It also never happened on the VBA forum that somebody claimed an advice where there was none. I am the first to give credit where credit is due. But I am also the first to call BS.

That's it for me for this post. No further responses. I suggest you delete all posts below the post with the VBA code.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yahoo_fin, Pandas: how to convert data table structure in csv file - by detlefschmitt - Feb-15-2021, 12:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [SOLVED] Correct way to convert file from cp-1252 to utf-8? Winfried 8 881 Feb-29-2024, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Winfried
  Better python library to create ER Diagram by using pandas data frames as tables klllmmm 0 1,141 Oct-19-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: klllmmm
  Trying to get counts/sum/percentages from pandas similar to pivot table cubangt 6 1,416 Oct-06-2023, 04:32 PM
Last Post: cubangt
Thumbs Up Convert word into pdf and copy table to outlook body in a prescribed format email2kmahe 1 759 Sep-22-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: carecavoador
  Using pyodbc&pandas to load a Table data to df tester_V 3 827 Sep-09-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: tester_V
  Hard disk structure like a file selection dialog malonn 2 799 Aug-09-2023, 09:14 PM
Last Post: malonn
  Convert File to Data URL michaelnicol 3 1,177 Jul-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Python Script to convert Json to CSV file chvsnarayana 8 2,535 Apr-26-2023, 10:31 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  python pandas sql table with header mg24 3 1,970 Dec-08-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  openpyxl convert data to float jacklee26 13 6,024 Nov-19-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: deanhystad