Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Potato
(Apr-13-2021, 12:57 PM)Mustey Wrote: but I get it, though... I speak about 5 languages, partly because I just soak up languages (better than anything else I do. Pity there's no money in it!) and partly because I lived in all sorts of places.
What I noticed is that in large countries, people are far more likely to know just the local language.
It makes sense to me.
If you live in a small, poor, country, you have this impetus to study English or whatever gets you out.
If you live in a large, rich country: you can work in lots of good places, shop for varied products, consume a rich culture... Why do you need another language?
Especially English. Americans don't "NEED" to learn another language. Even considering border police - those guys can opt NOT to learn Spanish and just find another job, there's plenty of good jobs in the USA (proven by the need for a border police...)

The leading culture in the world is Anglo-American and everything else, on a global scale, is a minor issue.

Chinese is kinda changing things. Their culture is different and they are ascending to new heights globally... And they are a very respectable size of world population :)
Do I see people in small countries needing to learn Chinese? Let me put it this way, even if more Chinese people spoke Bulgarian than all Bulgarians, than Bulgarian would still be like rank #300 of languages in China... And it's much easier for someone Chinese to learn Bulgarian if they need to, than it is for a Bulgarian to pick up Chinese :)

English is a decent language too.
So yeah, I am a bit proud that I cover more UTF-8 characters with my keyboard but if I could only know one language, it would be English (and I don't even like any English-speaking country... Well, Scotland is kinda nice... Although they don't have jobs, though...)

That's awesome that you have learned five languages.
And the main reason behind your learning is that you
have lived in such places.

Messages In This Thread
Hot Potato - by Skaperen - Mar-09-2021, 05:36 AM
RE: Hot Potato - by Naheed - Mar-16-2021, 02:07 PM
RE: Hot Potato - by Mustey - Apr-13-2021, 12:57 PM
RE: Hot Potato - by Naheed - May-04-2021, 07:33 AM
RE: Hot Potato - by Skaperen - Apr-14-2021, 11:52 PM
RE: Hot Potato - by Mustey - Apr-16-2021, 08:58 AM
RE: Hot Potato - by Mustey - Apr-16-2021, 11:15 AM
RE: Hot Potato - by Skaperen - Apr-17-2021, 11:13 PM