Python Forum
Randomizer script to provide options based on user and priority
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randomizer script to provide options based on user and priority
Ok, so i tend to get bored at home sometimes and always looking for fun projects to work on and some of them work with my daughter on as well..

So the family tends to play alot of board games.. and on the rare occasion that EVERYONE wants to go out to dinner its a task in itself, so this idea may serve both problems..

So here is what im trying to do for this project, as a family we have well over 40 or 50 board games and picking one that EVERYONE likes or wants to play is a pain sometime, so for testing purposes i want to try something out..

Id like to try and create some script that will take our list of games, our names and priority we each give to the games to help provide a specific game or maybe a short list of 2 or 3 games to pick from.

so basically the way i picture it working is 1 of 2 ways..

#1 fully automatic in that we run the script and it picks just 1 game from the entire list at random and we play that..

#2 we select who in the family is playing, since its not always the whole group, and based on the users selected and the priority they have given each game, the script will return a random game that ONLY those family members like maybe even have a flag that it returns just 1 game or 2 options..

Scenarios below:

Family1 - Monopoly - #2
Family1 - Uno - #1
Family1 - Candyland - #3
Family2 - Uno - #2
Family2 - Life - #1
Family2 - Connect 4 - #3
etc...
So on and so on for the setup..

Now lets say that only Family1 and Family5 are playing today.. i know that in this example 2 people can choose among themselves, but trying to keep this description as simple as i can think..

So they run the script and let it automatically pick 1 game that they both like.. and if they don't like that game, then they run it again..

Now lets say that Family1, Family2, Family5, Family7 and Family8 are wanting to play.. so they either let it pick one game among ONLY the games they each like OR the script returns a list of 2 or 3 games that as a whole, the would like..

Eventually ill create some fancy front end to handle the user interaction portion, but for now im just going for a proof of concept (for myself and my wife) since she thinks i over think and over engineer things..

So if i can create a list of users/game/priority is it possible to randomize the results based on selections or flags set before running the script?

If it is possible, what are things i should consider looking into? Would i create 3 separate lists or 1 list setup in a format that can be read easily to make those choices?

Messages In This Thread
Randomizer script to provide options based on user and priority - by cubangt - Mar-10-2022, 08:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  output provide the filename along with the input file processed. arjunaram 1 969 Apr-13-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: menator01
  Priority Queue with update functionality PythonNewbee 4 2,028 Dec-29-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  Performance options for sys.stdout.writelines dgrunwal 11 3,206 Aug-23-2022, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Exit function from nested function based on user input Turtle 5 2,967 Oct-10-2021, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Turtle
  Automatic user/password entry on prompt by bash script PBOX_XS4_2001 3 2,835 May-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Creating a calculation based on user entry blakefindlay 2 2,048 Jan-26-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: blakefindlay
  [SOLVED] Requiring help running an old Python script (non Python savvy user) Miletkir 13 5,528 Jan-16-2021, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Miletkir
  Loop back through loop based on user input, keeping previous changes loop made? hbkpancakes 2 2,967 Nov-21-2020, 02:35 AM
Last Post: hbkpancakes
  Can argparse support undocumented options? pjfarley3 3 2,275 Aug-14-2020, 06:13 AM
Last Post: pjfarley3
  Help with options raiden 1 1,954 Aug-30-2019, 12:57 AM
Last Post: scidam