Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpenter learning python
I do electrical/construction as well as Python so i can relate.

My first question is are you planning on running this on a desktop for quotes at home or office or are you planning on using it on the job remotely such as using your phone?

The reason I ask this is because GUI on the desktop would be highly different than on your phone. The desktop would have a lot of options, the phone not as many.

Python can pretty do any math required for construction, and far beyond such as equations, etc. So the real.question is which GUI did you want.

Desktop GUI would be PyQt, WxPython, or Tkinter. Tkinter would be ideal for newbie as well as there isn't a lot required for GUI in your program other than a few drop down lists and some input boxes. Tkinter is the simplest, but PyQt last I knew had a GUI builder where you drag and drop widgets to "build your GUI". Personally with how simple your program will be, learning how to use the GUI builder would be overkill.

As for mobile GUI, the only one I know about would be Kivy. But there may be more now as I am out of the loop for a couple years.

Next you could do a web interface

So it really.depends on which way you want to go.

Quote:I am imagining a simple graphical interface where I choose from a list the type of job and then get a rough estimate depending on square meters or hours of work.
My initial thought would be something like Rock Auto dot com with expansion for organizing job types, but with input fields for amount of wood and material used based on size as well as average time a job takes for hours. Then allow a toggle system to append each job to a total. Could even add a print to print this out to a suspected customer laying out the projected costs for material and labor. But there are a lot of different ways you could go.

Also the cost of materials fluctuate so much that instead of some arbitrary number for a 100' roll of 12/2 romex. I would have the script go to wherever you buy materials (Lowes or Home Depot, etc. ) and modify the price based on the current price. Then your estimate fluctuates with the cost of copper instead of possibly screwing you or the customer. Having this implemented into your script would require you to web scrape using BeautifulSoup or Selenium python 3rd party modules.

As a side note. This seems like such a common task for construction that it would not shock me if this program already exists somewhere. I would google and check Github and Bitbucket for existing projects before delving into this. You may find someone had already made this exact program or so close to it that you just have to modify it slightly to add more of what you want. Dont reinvent the wheel, if.you don't have to.
buran likes this post
Recommended Tutorials:

Messages In This Thread
Carpenter learning python - by Snickaren - Dec-20-2022, 10:12 AM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by Gribouillis - Dec-20-2022, 10:55 AM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by Snickaren - Dec-20-2022, 04:14 PM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by metulburr - Dec-20-2022, 11:45 PM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by Pedroski55 - Dec-21-2022, 08:36 AM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by jefsummers - Dec-21-2022, 04:11 PM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by Snickaren - Dec-21-2022, 07:10 PM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by metulburr - Dec-21-2022, 10:20 PM
RE: Carpenter learning python - by jefsummers - Dec-22-2022, 12:34 PM