Python Forum
python not detected on computer
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
python not detected on computer
Hi, sorry for the thread, I just haven't found any solution anywhere and I'm getting kind of desperate.

For context, I'm a sociology student with no experience coding in anything other than R, so please bear with me as I don't know much about python or coding. I need to use python in order to use "Whisper", a retranscription program for my interviews. In order to do so, I tried a lot of things, but right now I'm using VSCode as an interface. My OS is Windows 11.

long story short, VSCode isn't detecting python. Here are some of the errors i get that I think can help understand ?

Trying to check my python version. I get similar errors when i try to use pip :
Output:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "c:\Users\adrie\OneDrive\Bureau\Untitled-1.py", line 2, in <module> py -v ^^ NameError: name 'py' is not defined PS C:\Users\adrie> & C:/Users/adrie/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python312/python.exe c:/Users/adrie/OneDrive/Bureau/Untitled-1.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "c:\Users\adrie\OneDrive\Bureau\Untitled-1.py", line 1, in <module> python NameError: name 'python' is not defined PS C:\Users\adrie> & C:/Users/adrie/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python312/python.exe c:/Users/adrie/OneDrive/Bureau/Untitled-1.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "c:\Users\adrie\OneDrive\Bureau\Untitled-1.py", line 1, in <module> python -v ^^^^^^ NameError: name 'python' is not defined
Trying to change the vscode python interpreter to the path I've read it should be :
Output:
2023-11-17 15:04:53.918 [warning] Failed to check if C:\Users\adrie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\python.exe" is an executable [Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat 'C:\Users\adrie\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python312\python.exe"'] { errno: -4058, code: 'ENOENT', syscall: 'lstat', path: 'C:\\Users\\adrie\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python312\\python.exe"'

the print() command works, which idk is because it's in VSCode by default, or because it's detecting a bit of python ?

Things I tried to solve it :
- uninstall and reinstall from both the recommended internet page AND Windows Store
- install the python extension on VSCode
- change all the \ to \\ in the interpreter path
- try the same on Windows Powershell ISE
- give Python admin rights and "add to path automatically" when re-installing it
- when I go to the 2 paths offered for python in my computer (C:\\Users\\adrie\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python312\\python.exe AND C:/Users/adrie/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/python3.11.exe), I find the files.
- the file at "C:\\Users\\adrie\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Python\\Python312\\python.exe" is 101Ko large, and opens the windows terminal when launched
- the file at "C:/Users/adrie/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/python3.11.exe" is 0 Ko large, and also opens the windows terminal

I know all of this points to Python not being downloaded on my computer, but it is, so I'm very lost

Thank you very much for your help

Messages In This Thread
python not detected on computer - by adriennn - Nov-17-2023, 02:39 PM
RE: python not detected on computer - by snippsat - Nov-17-2023, 03:00 PM
RE: python not detected on computer - by adriennn - Nov-18-2023, 02:37 PM
RE: python not detected on computer - by snippsat - Nov-18-2023, 02:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PsInfo from remote computer in python susja 3 2,320 Oct-10-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Python Help, New User, Computer Automation hexagonalyeti 2 1,704 Jun-25-2021, 11:43 AM
Last Post: hexagonalyeti
  My .exe made using Python being detected as a virus 100grassfed 2 3,073 Jun-16-2021, 04:41 AM
Last Post: buran
  python --version yields no output, not detected by other programs ten 3 3,493 Jun-25-2020, 04:48 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  Go to line starting with and variable not detected morgandebray 5 3,405 Aug-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Last Post: morgandebray
  Install Python 2 and 3 on same Computer Able98 6 71,645 Dec-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  "Widget Javascript not detected" error BobLoblaw 0 4,334 Oct-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Last Post: BobLoblaw
  Object Detection that records the number of secs the face is not detected trabis03 1 2,568 Jul-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: nilamo