Python Forum
[PyGUI] Opinions on Python GUI programming
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[PyGUI] Opinions on Python GUI programming
Hi,

I've been planning a Python GUI program for the last couple of weeks that I've been hitting several roadblocks on, and I finally decided to try and get some help and ideas from the Internet.

That is why I'm here. In the last month, I have written a couple of sketches on paper and tried to convert them to Python using Glade3 and Gtk.Builder, PyGTK 2.0 and WxPython.

The idea of manually coding my GUI into the code does not appeal to me, so pygtk is out - at least, by itself. I perservered, but got stuck on TreeModels, and ListStores.

I ran to WxPython, which seems to be a little easier to access. If I don't use a third party, technically unsupported code builder to inherit classes from (like WxFormBuilder), I still have to grapple with manual UI coding. I find when adding notebook tabs to a BoxSizer gets me down because I can't get past using the ListView demo in the context of a demo with no parent controls; I can't get into my head how to incorporate it in my application.

So, I take a look at GTK again; Gtk.Builder seems promising, but is it a little too new? I'm running Linux Mint 18.1, based on the LTS version of Ubuntu - which will not receive newer cutting-edge versions of libraries for another year at least. I find it hard to get into.

I have a sqlite database which I'm able to browse with sqlitebrowser. I'm happy with database-based programming and have experience with Django, and previously L-A-M-P (PHP) programming. I know what I *want* to code, but am having a hard time finding the right framework - to the point where I'm even thinking of using raw python in a shell with Zenity(!)

What do you guys use and recommend for GUI programming? Because I'm having a hard time getting into First Gear. Wall

Messages In This Thread
Opinions on Python GUI programming - by cdn - Aug-24-2017, 11:48 PM
RE: Opinions on Python GUI programming - by hbknjr - Aug-26-2017, 10:45 AM
RE: Opinions on Python GUI programming - by Larz60+ - Aug-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PyGUI] Start learning GUI Programming python sumandas89 1 3,177 Jan-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  [split] New at Python programming Akash 1 2,783 Nov-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: heiner55
  New at Python programming rsmldmv 1 2,926 Nov-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Larz60+