Python Forum
what got me started in Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what got me started in Python
what got me started in Python was the need for a tool that would log into a Cisco router, grab some information, and logout, saving that information.  while searching for tools to do this, including what others have done, i ran across a bunch of script examples in Python that used the pexpect module.  i downloaded them and installed python-expect (on slackware), edited the scripts to use our router address and password, and they worked just fine.  then i started changing more things.  at first a add more steps.  eventually i wanted to add some logic and just guessed at it based on some code in one of the examples.  it was easy and worked.  by the next day i had downloaded several Python PDF files to read.  i was hooked.  C took 2nd seat and Pike got bumped to 3rd.  since then i also had a look at Lua and Go but they just could not overwhelm Python in my mind.  the biggest killer of Go for me was the use of ":=".  if Python had used it, i would not be here.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Messages In This Thread
what got me started in Python - by Skaperen - Oct-18-2017, 02:09 AM
RE: what got me started in Python - by Larz60+ - Oct-18-2017, 03:37 AM
RE: what got me started in Python - by metulburr - Oct-18-2017, 01:00 PM