Python Forum
installing any package= impossible headache
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
installing any package= impossible headache
I will diverge a bit from Metulburr's summation, by saying, in my opinion, if you have a 64 bit processor, use the 64 bit Python. For the same reason we recommend the latest version of Python, I recommend the 64 bit Python, the reason being, 32 bit programs are also on their last legs. Plus why limit the superior capabilities of the 64 bit processor by running a 32 bit program? If you were to compare the arguments of why people were (and in some cases still are) reluctant to switch from Python 2 to Python 3, you would see they are almost identical to the reasons people still cling to 32 bit programs. Yet as both have matured and gained acceptance, most of those arguments are irrelevant.

Quote:I have like 100 small pygame programs I made in 2.7. Do I have to uninstall 2.7 and install 3.6, thus having to slightly fix all those programs whenever I run them again to make them run on 3.6? 

You have at least three options, as I see it.
  1. Toss them, escpecially if you are not using the latest version of Pygame.
  2. Use Python's builtin "2to3.py" to do most, if not all the the changes for you (located in the ~/Tools/Scripts directory
  3. Make the changes manually
I would venture to say, you're most likely to have to change because of "raw_input" vs. "input()" and "print" vs "print()".

To summarize, I recommend you uninstall Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 and just install Python 3.6.3 (according to the tutorial. As an added note, this is not the same advice I would give to Linux, Mac or *nix users.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Messages In This Thread
RE: installing any package= impossible headache - by sparkz_alot - Nov-03-2017, 01:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trouble installing python package Tuxedo 1 3,274 Apr-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Installing package in Anaconda on an Intranet Computer Secret 1 1,945 Sep-17-2020, 02:16 PM
  Error when installing Seaborn package using pip chawkins 3 5,615 Jul-16-2018, 12:12 AM